1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

weird wear on my fleshing blade.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by rnviper3, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

That is a new one, never had to use a lube before, the steels will just slide instead of sharpen if you lube it.

2. I thought everyone knew to lube steels. I keep mine in a jar of motor oil.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

The lube spins off , makes no sense.

4. not all the lube spins off, and this reduces friction and heat, which will wear on the blade

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

How hard are you guys pressing on the steels? It only takes a very light touch, no need for lube for that.

6. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

I am very lightly touching the wheel. These are the first 3 blades to ever do this.

7. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

You are lifting up a little too hard on the Bottom steel(the one that goes under the lip), THEN applying too much pressure with the top steel.

You say you are not applying much pressure, but the shine on the edge of that lip, tells me otherwise. I KNOW you have seen some sparks!

In a sence, you are "widdling off the VERY TIP" of the edge. You are lifting it up, then chopping it off!

Nothing against Van Dykes, but the steels they make are crap, in my opinion, and that wont help matters either.

Also, like "T" said, there is no need to ever "lube" a blade, unless you are not going to use it for an extended period of time.

Bad steels can also cause the same problem! If you have tungsten steels, which you should, look VERY CLOSELY for a hairline crack in the steel tip. That will also make steeling a night mare!