1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need help with Whitetail eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Camptrapp, Dec 16, 2011.

1. irishme

irishme New Member

;)GREAT PICS DOUG

2. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

Here is a few more.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

Quick question regarding the level of the pupil when looking down.

Is it possible that while these deer in the reference photos have their head pointed down, it's not actually where they are looking? Like they are still looking up (at you) or for danger, etc?

And if they were to focus on an object on the ground (like the feather mentioned before) their pupils would point more towards the ground?

Don't their eyes have to point towards the object their trying to focus on?

Not trying to complicate the issue, just something interesting I thought of as I pictured deer feeding and realized they are probably still trying to watch for danger or keep an eye on the person taking the photo. Think about how easily they can pick you off while hunting if you move while they have their head down. Sneaky buggers! LOL

4. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Is it possible? Yes, never say never....You see that there eye will rotate, But to survive they need to watch for predators.

5. Camptrapp

Camptrapp 2011 Wisconsin Open Division Best of Catagory

Oak Leak that is exactly what I was trying to get at with my orig post. When I called Cary Cochren, which I trust as much as anyone considering he won the world show with a whitetail. He thought that if a deer was focusing down the pupils may very well point down, but on a competition piece like I am doing I should put the pupils level to the ground. I won't get docked for it that way.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I referenced the cover of the October Deer& Deer Hunting magazine. Two bucks were fighting and one had its head pushed between its legs with its forehead down. The photo was quite clear and the pupil was horizontal. But you know what? That's where the deer was Focusing. As Doug's fawn shows, its focusing upward. AMAZIN what good reference pictures will do.

7. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Ya Camptrapp that's Bad, you can get judges that don't think, yes a deer can focus on something before it eat its on the ground and then rotate hes pupils to be horizontal so he can look for predators. But ya most judges will bust you for it (DUMB)......I have been judge by Cary many times and if he is not sure about it he will tell you, no big deal, others will tell that you are wrong that they or the big man on the block......I hope that I never get that hard headed........

8. Camptrapp

Camptrapp 2011 Wisconsin Open Division Best of Catagory

As I said, I am going to make to pupils horizontal just so I don't get deducted when getting judged but I will still say in most of the referance photos, you can just tell the deer are looking up at the person taking the picture or looking up for danger. Thanks you everyone for the photos. It is clear, when you look at them the eye brow is lifted and the eyes are more open and alert.