1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

paint organization

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by silverfox, Dec 17, 2011.

1. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Just wondering if any of you guys have any good tips on how to organize your paint so your not looking for colors all day or just plain have a mess. Thanks.

2. PaBear

PaBear New Member

Spill some on the outside of the bottle

3. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

not many taxidermist are organized...that is stuff all over the place....i just kept paint on a shelf with reds with reds, browns with browns, etc

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

dark to light............

Usually from dark colors at one end of the shelf to light colors at the other end.

:)

Kerby...

5. den007

den007 Active Member

Like Kirby.....warmer and lighter to cooler and darker.....whites, yellows, reds, browns, greens, blues, black.........separate metallics, iridescents, sealer and clears.

Always get a few mixed up though.

6. I make a helacious mess when I am working. It helps me a little to stop and RE- organize things at least every night(if not at some point during the day.)

7. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I have a couple of metal racks I got at Lowes in the storage section. I use Polytranspar and I arrange them in the rack in the number order. White is FP10 so those are in the beginning on up to the higher numbers.

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

What kind of metal racks todd? I was thinking maybe a spice rack or something like that.

9. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

like a color wheel

10. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Like some of the others, I built shelves to accomodate the space available and the height of the bottles. I printed labels with large numbers so I can easily find the number assigned by the producer (Primarily PolyTranspar) and I organize based on the producer's numbering system. As I use the colors for the first time, I spray a shot of the color onto the label so that I can see the color. As I have added paints from other producers, I am adding more shelves, though finding space presently is becoming a problem. Unlike many, over the years since PolyTranspar paints were introduced, I have accumulated just about every color that I think I can use and as stated already, with other producers coming into the paint market, I am adding 'new' colors from them.
    If I were going to use a drawer system, I'd put the color on the cap of the container and write the name/number on the container beneath the cap so that it can be seen from above.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps...my paint collection is probably the most 'organized' section of my shop setup.

jerry

11. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Come to think of it I think they are the metal spice racks. They will hold about 20 bottles of the 8 oz size per shelf.

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I have about 30 bottles of paint. But, quite frankly some of them I bought when I initially started in this business and I never use them. I should just toss them as they're probably rock hard anyway. So, I really only have about 20 paint bottles (and then of course powders, etc.) I don't mix big batches of custom paint but mix on the fly if I need to. I never thought THAT deeply into organizing my paints by color wheel or cools/warms, etc. I just have all the greens together, browns together, yellows, etc. Looking at them though I must have subconsciously put contrasting colors next to each other. I guess contrasting makes it easy to identify quickly one group from the other. Regardless how you organize your paints the trick is to put them back in the same spot each time. If you have 50 bottles of paint then that's even more important. You'll get use to where they're at. Spilling some paint on the outside of the bottle is a good idea. Especially with the W&W's paints. The label is taking up most of the bottle so it's almost a necessity for quick identification.

13. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

pretty much the same as Marty. I started with almost every paint color made LOL. Now I have about 15-20 colors, so its rather easy. Just chunked a bunch into my kids play box last month...sure did clean my shelf up a bit.

for my powders...They set in a box. I took the top off each one and touched the powder with my finger, then the top and put it back on...once I had them all done I glossed the tops and now I can just look into the box and grab the color I want.

14. FishArt

Joey, I use the Polytranspar Pearls the most. I have a set in my painting area and another in my scale-tip area. For the Pearlex powders I have them all in a 2" deep by ~14" x 6" plastic container in my modelling/scale tipping area. I have an unfinished shop and the Pearlex powders rest on a 2x4 I put between a couple of joists sort've balanced up against the (backside of the) drywall so that the whole container rests at a (30 degree?) angle towards me so I can easily see everything. I've flipped all the pearlex powder containers over and dusted them off so that I can see thru the clear bottom of each container and easily ID each color.

P.S. Jerry, I like your photo holder/carousel idea!

15. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

dang never thought of flipping them over LOL

16. FishArt

Joey, you just have to remember to flip them back over before you open them - lol! (and a couple of taps on the table to let the dust settle down before opening).

One thing I did forget is on the 2x4 that the container is resting on at an angle between the joists I have a 14" long, 1/2" strip of trim I had left over I installed along the front edge to keep the container from sliding off the shelf.

17. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I have shelves built into the wall to store them on . I keep my colors together like greens, browns , etc. I try and keep them in the same place . I also took a maker and wrote the number of the paint on the front and top of the bottle . I done these in big numbers , like 1 to 2 inches tall .

18. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I have alot of different brands and colors because I paint baits too. I have a table that sits next to my painting station and all my paints are organized by color. All reds together, blues on and on. Then I put all my shimmers and powders together by color. That way if I need an orange I have all of my different oranges together. Works well.

19. My wall has 60" section of J channel screwed to it. The bottom is 1" with a half inch hem 1" up wall to hold screw to wall and 3" back out for the paint shelf. The middle cavity holds tubes, brushes etc. My main peeve is reaching for the paintbottle or anything in the back of a shelf and what is in front of it falls in the floor. The shelf will only hold one bottle deep x 5' long.