1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

help with long insicion cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tnarg, Dec 17, 2011.

1. tnarg

tnarg Member

I have always caped out my deer using a short y cut. I recently got a replacement cape and it was a long y incision. Im having the most difficult time trying sew this deer up. Is there any tricks to making this easier. Can I sew it up to a short y before hand then try mounting it. I should note that im just test fitting it right now Thanks!

2. light

light Member

Iowa
    You bet you can sew it up and make a short Y out of it. Done it many a time. Good Luck

3. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

X2 thats what I do. sew it up to a short Y on the bench and then put it on the form.

4. tnarg

tnarg Member

Thanks I will give that a try.

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

sew them up to a short Y every time.

6. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

You can't test fit a long cut cape the same as a short cut y. You need to locate the brisket and taxi the skin on the incision forward.

7. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Why can't you Ted? I long cut all my capes and have never had a problem test fitting.... Not breaking balls, but I don't understand your logic...

8. tnarg

tnarg Member

I ended up sewing it up to a short y. I guess I learned something valuable...I hate toying around with a long incision! 10X easier and better results with a short Y.

9. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Why.... Because alot of people will NOT taxi skin up on the incision to get it to come together. If you have never done a long incision people seem to forget that you have to taxi skin forward to get the seam together at the shoulders.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Teds point should be well taken as that is why you see alot of hair patterns way off on the brisket and the interior portion on the under leg is rolled out on the outside of the leg.

11. BRTX

BRTX New Member

Re: Re: help with long insicion cape

I agree with Ted. The test fitting goes fine as long as you get the hair patterns in the proper places. When sewing a long cut, I was taught when you tighten up your stitches, you need to pull the string up towards the ears. This will help keep the hide taxied forward, instead of pulling it all back off the manikin.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. ryan rhodes

Oh ok ted, I see what you're saying. I wan't trying to be a prick, but I thought you meant it was impossible to test fit a long cut skin! Always place hide in proper places and it's no problem at all. I don't mind the extra sewing I feel I can stretch a hide and test it better with a long cut. Plus I hate setting antlers/horns after the cape is on and hate doing claywork after the fact or messing it up putting a cape on with a short y. To each his own...

13. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Just wait till you get a long incision elk or larger, that's when the fun starts. Only about 3.5 hours to sew on the the manikin. I sometimes prefere to sew on the form as I struggle too much with the short incision.

14. ryan rhodes

I've mounted plenty of elk, caribou, and moose with a long cut, not to mention all the african I've done is always long cut...

15. funny all ive ever done is long incision.thats how i was tought and stuck with it.your right ted they do pull forwerd.i tryed to to a couple of shorts before but had a hell of a time trying to get them on.must be somthing im doing wrong.lol

16. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    Re: Re: help with long insicion cape

I love short y capes. Don't get too lucky around here to have people bring them in like that though. What's the trick. Also I am having a hard time deciding which I like best. The only plus to short y is less time sewing. but cut all the way detail on the head "seems" to come out better. Hmmm?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Now that this has turned into a short vs long thread I have to say I find fitting and mouinting EASIER with a long incision. I just use short incision to make less sewing. When I worked in another shop LONG is all they used and I got used to it.

Best thing about LONG is that it is MUCH easier to fit around a form that may be a little too big.

18. ryan rhodes

I agree 100% Jim! I also don't do a y, I cut str8 across from burr to burr or base to base, makes hiding the seam easier too I believe...

19. wayne70

wayne70 Member

I have always done the long incision. I set the brisket in place and use several pins to hold into position untill I get the back sewed then pull pins and final adjust. We prep several forms at one time and set antlers, I don't know how one could do that with short incisions.

20. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Go ahead and cut it all over just for $#1+$ and giggles if you're dumb enough to keep up all that sewing! lol I cut straight across from antler to antler on everything I can. Even elk if it's not already whacked down the back. If you must sew, shave the hide very thin and use a rolling stitch on the inside. Sit down and do it on a table. My Grandad wouldn't have walked five miles to school if he had owned a car. You shouldn't be sewing 5 feet of hide if you don't have to.