1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Christmas Dog

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Rick Carter, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

great question. I wasn't sure if I could get away without having a jawset or not. I cut the mouth out of the manikin and hollowed it out a bit. Then I placed the dead squirrel into the mouth and arranged it so that no teeth were showing and checked all around to see if it looked too contrived. I also re sculpted The Yotes liplines using epoxy to rest on the squirrels body. It looked pretty convincing so I took lots of pictures of the form holding the squirrel. I then skinned out the squirrel and repositioned it in the form mouth like the pictures. The head with squirrel was placed into the freezer. The next morning I sawed off the lower jaw and carcass cast the frozen squirrel body( removed the legs) using plaster with hot water and salt. the plaster mold came out OK so I made a form with urethane. i carved and sanded a few details and set the eyes in Apoxie Sculpt. I tanned the squirrel skin in Krowtann and then mounted it before I mounted the Coyote. It fit perfectly just as planned.

2. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Very nice Rick . I only see 2 things wrong :eek:

1st) I couldn't get away with posing a live Yote. With out getting bite.

2ed) Its not coming here as my Xmas gift.

3. Rick Carter

The thought of competing some more flashes through my mind once in a while but then I wake up and come back to my senses! I ran the circuit long enough to get all the punishment I'll ever need. The judges are idiots! Oh yeah, I quit doing that too!

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've carcass cast using plaster or fix-all, but not with salt. What does the salt do?

5. Rick Carter

Adding a little salt in hot water drastically speeds up the reaction time of plaster, especially when casting frozen parts. The squirrel had been shot pretty good and was bleeding out before I froze it. If you give blood time to be absorbed into the plaster it will weaken the mold.

I knew I should have posted this in the casting section. lol

6. boarhunter67

Thanks for the tip. I usually use fix-all for casting carcasses because it's stronger. I wonder if it would do the same thing.

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Christmas Dog

Rick, that looks really nice and you saved some bucks not using a jaw set...not that it matters cause I am sure you have your connections..lol...but for alot of us that is an awesome tip. Now about the squirrell....your using plaster of paris...hot water and salt? I read through daniels tutorial where he carcass cared the bobcat....is this the same method?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. boarhunter67

I have carcass cast a few animals and fish, but have found plaster too frail so I switched to fix-all. How do you keep your plaster from cracking or breaking on large animals or fish? Is there an advantage to using plaster over fix-all?

9. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

real nice, shootem again, I think it is getting away.

10. old guy

old guy Member

Rick you are who you are and how you do it. The more the masters post here,,and what they can do,,the more you guys accelerate the true art of our work,,and the way it should really be,. My hat is off to you on showing a true work of art,,and a challenge to more of our true artists out there to show their work here,,That is a benefit for all of us,,to work ,,,to achieve,,to be proud,,,and ultimatelly to paid for all the gosh darn hard ass work is involved..,,,ok i am off my soap box,,,,nice job Rick.

11. boarhunter67

Rick, thanks for continuing to inspire us. I know that even though you are super talented, you are still somehow humble and don't always like to show off, but you need to so that we can all see what we can hope to attain. Even the hacks like me who know I'll never achieve it can still be inspired to do better and can still appreciate the beauty of a mount like that one. Please post pictures more often.

12. hunt hard

hunt hard New Member

Ohio
    Very Nice Rick

13. nice yote and squirrel not to shabby either
    beautiful mount

14. paul e

paul e New Member

very nice
    looks alive
    thanks for the pics and the procedure

you know that would have made a great dvd!

im sitting at my table watching your boar DVD and processing a boar at the same time
    man oh man we live in a great time to be a taxidermist lol

have a Merry Christmas!

15. Great work even better gift! Merry christmas Rick.

16. impact

impact Member

Iowa
    Damn nice mount!

17. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Beautiful mount!

18. The plaster you buy at Home Depot is crap for moulding thats why its breaking on you. Use Hydrocal or Denscal Plasters. Also a good sise plaster mould will take a couple weeks to cure and reach full strength.