1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

? For you lutan f users

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Chappy, Dec 18, 2011.

1. I just got done tanning a fox and fur seems oily. I washed it in liquid tide before I put it in the pickle and rinsed well like I always do but oily fur. My question is could I wash the fur with some pert plus really quick and be ok or do I have to worry about the tan washing out? Or do you all have some other ideas for me? Thanks for the help.

2. Did you degrease it?

3. Yea. I think its from rinsing it in cold water and the soap just didn't get rinsed out good enough. So would I be able to give it a quick wash and rinse and be ok, or would I have to re tan it? Been using lutan for a few years now and never had this problem before.

4. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    Re: Re: ? For you lutan f users

Is it from the oil you used? Did you tumble it?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. It might be from the oil. If I put it in the tumbler will it take care ofthe problem even if the fur is almost dry will it still work

6. Just in case this doesn't work can I wash the fur on a tanned hide by lutan without ruining the hide? And if it gets to most or wet can you re tan it? Never had to re tan anything so just curious.

7. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    Re: Re: ? For you lutan f users

Tumble it with some mineral spirits. Thats what I do when this happens. If you wash it, you lose the oil and your hide won't be as pliable

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. What is mineral spirits, and where do I get it?

9. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

mineral spirits = paint thinner. get it at walmart or any hardware or paint store

10. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

It addresses your question on washability.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,138847.0.html