1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Badger Renagade Spirit

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by possom hawk, Dec 19, 2011.

1. possom hawk

possom hawk Luv the smell of black powder in the morning

I am having a problem spraying pearls through my Badger Renagade Spirit air brush. I have tried thinning the lacquer pearls with thinner but not having any luck. I don't want to get the paint too thin that it is mostly thinner. Maybe this brush is just too fine to spray these pearls or do I need another air brush just for these types of paint? Thanks

2. You have pretty much answered your own question.The spirit,( although an exelent brush), (at least in my opinion) doesn't like metalics/pearls. I use a pasche "H" for all my metalic work.The more I use the spirit the less I use my other brushes.

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Spirit comes with .21mm tip/needle combo. Will not shoot metallics or pearls. You can get a .33mm combo for the spirit that will shoot the pearls and metallics. I like an even larger tip needle combo (.5mm) for getting the smoothest flow while spraying the pearls and metallics. I hope it will be an available option for the renegades in the near future.

PB

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

or get an Iwata, and cut down on your issues......

5. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Badger makes a great broad coverage brush. The patriot . I use it for spraying my pva on bondo molds to my waterbase gloss coats and anything inbetween. I don't know what the needle size is but its like a first graders pencil compared to the renegade series

6. possom hawk

possom hawk Luv the smell of black powder in the morning

Thank you all for your help fellows. Sounds like a great excuse to get another air brush. Last minute Christmas shopping this time for me.

7. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

here is the patriot on sale... I am pretty rough on it and it seems to be really well built for what it does. but don't expect to paint detail with it. My renegade on the other hand is about to get tossed if I split one more tip by just setting the needle to hard.

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Patriot-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B002W84GTO

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Jimmy the brand of airbrush has nothing to do with how it will spray metallics or pearls. It is the size of the tip that makes the difference. An Iwata with a .2mm tip will not spray the mettallics or pearls, been there. The larger tipped Eclipse series by Iwata will spray the pearls & metallics. So just getting an Iwata will not "cut down on a issues". No one brush will do it all without changing out the tip/needle.

Joey you're too strong, back off on the muscle a bit.

PB

9. agagne41

agagne41 New Member

I ordered new needles and a new tip for my Renegade Velocity Jet on Dec. 6th. I found out today that they are out of stock and won't have any to ship for 2 to 3 weeks. How can you be out of needles? The problem I has was I ordered a new needle and when I got it, it had a burr on the tip. Paul what's the best way to get the burr off?

Al

10. get some 500-1000 grit sand paper lay sand paper on flat smooth surface keep the angle of your needle on the same pitch it is give it a nice easy spin/twirl on the paper..

I saved a few bent and burred needles in my day..

11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

X2! I have an Iwata that I swore by til I bought my Spirit from "Pescado" at taxidermy convention. I use a Paache VL with a #5 nozzle and needle for applying pearls and metallic paints.

12. Pescado! Since your here, Have you found anything out about the "O" ring on the Renegades that we talked about in an earlier post?

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The only O ring I know of is in the air valve.

Attached Files:

14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Paul: Where do I buy more of the P2-060 glass bottles?

15. I have a velocity and a jet and both came with an O ring on part R-001 on the body side. Others have wrote that theirs too had this also. Once that O ring fails mine blows paint and air through that area regardless of how clean or new the parts are.

16. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I have never seen an O-ring in that portion of a renegade. any airbrush will leak some air in that area, just the nature of the beast. I used to think it mattered and even tried sealing the threads with bee's wax on my Iwata (before I sold it). My Paasche always did the same. The only time I notice is when backflushing with cleaner. This has absolutely nothing to do with the preformance of the brush.

If there was an O-ring where you said, I doubt the tip (R-003) would be properly seated as the R-001, the hold down ring, is what holds the tip in place.

Joey M, call me 616 677 3844

Paul B

17. Paul, can I send u my renegade for some service? I can't seem to get it spraying right, needs some tlc

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

18. Pescado
    I am having similar problems blowing air around the tip and causing splatter with my Velocity..started after only a few uses..I too have thought it was an O ring problem But? Do you do repairs or what is the Badger procedure for repair?
    Kevin

19. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The air around the head of the brush is a non-issue, as stated above even the $450 Iwata did that. There is no O-ring in that part of the airbrush. The only one I know of is the R-0094 on the airvalve.

Best thing to do is call me @ 616 677 3844. It is way easier to tell you things over the phone than to try to type it out, especially when the problem could be caused by any number of things. Airbrush hygiene, pressure, paint viscosity to name a few. Nine out of ten times I can get you back on track over the phone.

Merry Christmas all !

20. So far this is not a good sales pitch! I am telling you, that I have 2, and they both came with an O ring in that place. Others here said theirs did too. Once that O ring wears out, or brush is used with out it, the brush leaks in that area. This piece is sooo small, I bet others have it on theirs also and dont even realize it. I didnt on my Velocity until I got the Jet and saw it so I checked on the velocity, and yup - O ring.