1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tannery Rant

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Whitetailart, Dec 21, 2011.

1. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    I completely understand.
    It is just frustrating sometimes on these public forums where people go on rants or give praise or whatever, the n will not even mention a name. It like someone whispering in a room or gives you the first half of the story but no ending, frustrating

2. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

If y'all want the name of the tanner so bad. Well here it is.

Its all of them.

I have used everybody From New Method Cali., To Wilderness Fur Dressing in Ny. It seems that over time during the busy time the quality seems to go down on what is leaving them. Holes, uneven shaving, missing ears, Not shaved, etc.

It may come down to having to tan them myself ( don't want to ) But at least I know what I will be getting and know when they are done.
    Then I can lower my prices because I am not having to pay to ship capes out and returned.Then pass the savings on to the customer.

As far as those not wanting to tell who they use because they dont want to get anymore clients . Thats fine I dont have to have their name. If they are that good the name will get out in time .

3. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Why drop your price ??? You will have the extra expense of purchasing chemical and shaving after pickling now.

4. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

DP

5. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

So now you have the added time of getting that cape extremely well shaved to get a good DP result. Still seems to me thats no need for a price reduction, makes no difference to me but if you have customers that are paying the price you have now then there is no need to drop it.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

It's more expensive to tan or DP yourself than to ship it out and get it done... anyone can argue till they are blue in the face, but take it from somebody who spun their wheels for years doing that crap. Find a reliable person to do all of it.

If you aren't mounting you're not making money.

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree with Mike to a point, I send most everything out, but I like to to all the prep before hand. This year(and the wts are still coming in strong) was alittle rough as the numbers are really good. I don't just cape and throw in the freezer. They are prepped as they come in and if they are frozen, they thaw out for the next day. If that means working all night, then that is what's done. Believe it or not, this saves a tremendous amount of time. While all the gameheads and l/s are at the tannery, I can catch up on my fish, birds, etc. Eventually, I will consider a complete service if needed, which my tannery does. So in the end, yes, if you are not mounting/finishing, the money isn't rolling!

8. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

x100 what mike said....................Keystone Fur Dressers in Aspers, PA for me. Been using them for years, absolutely no problems and
    when I get them back I may have 20 minutes or less in the usual prep stuff and onto the form. It's an advantage because they are only
    three and a half hours away and I can deliver my capes at the end of our short season in bulk. If any stranglers come along, I have
    another taxidermist buddy that will tan up a cape or two for me.

JEJ I see your from PA, have your tried them? 12 week turnaround, quality when you get them back. I work on euros and small mammals while I'm waiting for the capes to come in.

PS: I have no affiliation with Keystone Fur Dressers, I just like their tan and personal touch. Plus when I deliver capes they let you walk around the tannery and see the operations, by yourself.
    I was there about two weeks ago and 5 guys were at the shaving tables doing black bear. It made my arms hurt just watching them. They make it look so easy.

9. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

I meant to post the link: http://www.keystonefurdressing.com/ A phone call will get you their pricing catalog mailed to you.

10. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

I don't know, I have been using Wilderness Fur Dressing in NY for about 30 years, and NEVER had any of the problems you mentioned. Always shaved well, good stretch, good turn around time......If you are having problems with many different tanneries, maybe there is a problem in your prepwork?

11. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

It ain't my prep work I assure you of that. As far as not every having problems well maybe what I ask out of a tanner is far more than what you do. That could be the difference .

12. well Mikey, i have to disagree with you there, its not cheaper to send them out, we do our own tans, and the chemicals cost me about $1.50 a hide, i can put about 10 WT's in my machine, tans overnight, and then shaving takes us about 20 minutes, of course you have to subtract the initial purchase of a good flesher, etc, and that paid for itself the first year, of course i have employees rough fleshing and pay them, still cost less than 1/2 the cost of a tannery

If it was cheaper to send them out then how does the tanner make any money?

13. michael p.

Ooooooohhhhh!!!!!!! Buuuuurrrrnnnn!!!

I'm not even going to argue this point Steve. All I will say is if those 'preppers' were mounting deer then yoi would have more money coming in.

I give my tanner a raw frozen cape. I skin it off and bag it. A whitetail cost me $60 an elk $150...... if 'i' consider my overhead and most others it is not cheaper to do it in house.

But, as I said, I'm not going to argue the point, it's your business (but just think what you could put out if you or your employees did not have to flesh, turn and tan..... that time adds up.

14. Im not argueing the point either Mike, im disagreeing, yes, its my business we all do things differently, my fleshers are not taxidermist, i have 1 taxidermist other than myself and a flesher, sometimes my taxidermist will flesh if i dont have anything for hime to mount

Believe me, my tans are setting in the freezer waiting to be mounted just like yours, with the overhead and supplies cost, i still come out better by 2 fold

actually, i have some local taxidermist that we do capes for and we make money off of it, and it keeps my flesher busy

you said you had 40 capes out @$60, thats $2400, my flesher can do about 15 capes a week, thats rough flesh, mixing the tan, shaving, sewing the holes thinning the eyes nose, and bodo the ears, the whole nine yards
    I pay him $280 a week, thats part time 24hrs a week
    $280 / 15capes= $18.66 per cape+ $1.50 per cape (tanning chemicals)= $20.16 per cape

$20.16 per cape x 40 capes= $806.40
    So tell me how you can do 40 capes @$2400 and we can do them for $806.40 and your saving money? and thats a cape ready to put on the form, ears , eyes, nose, holes etc.. done, so tell me where my math is wrong, and im not argueing, im all ears believe me if you can shed a light on my disagreement here, im all for listening to why im loosing money here

And i might add the satisfaction of knowing im in control of my capes

15. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

maybe....
    Maybe...Just what do you expect? Like I said, I get great turn around, stretch, customer service, and price...what exactly do you ask from a tanner that Wilderness did not provide? Those are pretty much the most important requirements aren't they?

16. michael p.

Like I said Steve, i'm not going to argue with you, you have it figured out and that is great.

17. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I could not agree more. Skin it, tag it, and bag it, all in 10 minutes. I deliver and get them back tanned and perfectly prepped for $60 in 60 days for whitetails. I find myself mounting stuff constantly and keeping up when I used to fall behind with all the fleshing. I suppose you could argue that a construction company could mill their own lumber cheaper than buying it, but there is a reason they don't. Plus, I ain't getting younger and my back loved it the day I sold my fleshing machine....

18. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH after reading all this I deffinately need to find a GOOD tannery that will take raw capes to tan......I would LOVE to not use the fleshing machine anymore, it has already destroyed my elbows ! I cant even go fishing anymore because of it :'( :'( :'( I have to have surgery at this point, even cortizone shots do not help anymore. I do not even care anymore bout cost......cost , ya want to talk bout cost, well it cost me allot more than money at this point :'( :mad: After the holidays I'm gonna find a decent tannery I HOPE! I just hope they at least shave their capes. The one and only tannery I have used did a nice job on their tan but the they NEVER TOUCHED THE CAPE WITH A FLESHING MACHINE! I can see through my capes when I flesh them......but thats work ::) pry hoping for too much there ::)

19. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Bob, someone has to be paid to tan the skins, it might as well be you, take the money, don't lower the price that the customer is paying already.

20. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I have only mounted a few specimens, but the fellow I worked with didn't shave anything that I can recall.. We did use a mini-flesher around the face and stuff, but as far as shaving a skin like you guys are talking about, that didn't happen..

My question; Is it really necessary to do all that shaving ? Does it make THAT much of a noticeable improvement ? You're not getting that much detail out of a winter cape anyway correct ? Is it worth all the trouble and back ache for the average Joe Customer ?