1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Problem with buffalo skull - not whitening

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by MuleyCrazed, Dec 21, 2011.

1. MuleyCrazed

MuleyCrazed New Member

Can anyone give me some advice on whitening a buffalo skull? I have simmered it in hot water several times with a degreasing dish detergent. I have applied three coats of peroxide whitener paste to it and still there are grease spots. I now have it soaking in a 31% peroxide liquid. I'm hoping that will help. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

MuleyCrazed

Attached Files:

2. Keep degreasing but don't simmer. Keep the water/dawn at 115degrees and wait.

3. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Yep, keep degreasing!! When you get to your whitening stage, use a little heat. just a standard heat lamp, or porcelain heater set on low will make all the difference in the world.

4. You can also cut off some of the cores to help let the grease out.

5. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    Re: Re: Problem with buffalo skull - not whitening

Was it shot in the head?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. It may take anywhere from a week-a few months to degrease. Keep it in heated dawn, most use a fish tank heater. As I have found out, its tough to degrease in cold water. Let is degrease and try checking on it every week to a few days. I think buffalo may be a tough one to degrease since they are a fatty, big boned animal.

7. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

From what I gather most here use a lower heating element used in water heaters. What most use for maceration is a fish tank heater.

8. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

k westside has it, cut those cores back about 3 inches on each side. Then add some peroxide to your degreasing mixture and get it hot but not simmering. Like field said use a little heat when you pull it out of that 31%. Thats not grease, its blood that has stained the bone. You may never get it out, if thats the case a little spray of miracle white will soak into that heavy bone real nice and you wont ever be able to tell. If that picture is when it is wet, you will be surprised at how white it will get as it dries.

9. MuleyCrazed

MuleyCrazed New Member

Thank you gentlemen! I greatly appreciate the responses. All this advice will help a lot. I will continue to degrease using a fish tank heater and heat when in the peroxide mixture. I'll let you all know how it goes.

MuleyCrazed

10. MuleyCrazed

MuleyCrazed New Member

Westside - So cutting the cores back....do I just cut the ends of the horns (cores) off about 3 inches? Is that what you are talking about?

11. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

LEAVE about three inches of core. You just need to have enough to have the bond when you secure them back on. Tho cores on a buffalo are only six to eight inches long, so Dog and I are essentially saying the same thing...

12. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

A fish tank heater wont get the water hot enough to degrease very fast, most buffalo take 2-5 months to degrease and where you simmered it, the grease may be a little tougher to get all out

13. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Here you can see how I cut the cores. You dont need much to reatach the sheathes. But check with your customer. Most have replicas for the skull mount and use the real ones on the taxi mount, or vice versa so dont glue them till you know what your customer plans on doing.
    [​IMG]

14. MuleyCrazed

MuleyCrazed New Member

Excellent! Thank you guys!

Dog - What is Miracle White? thanks for psoting the pics to reference! Excellent work by the way!

15. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Michael P showed it in one of his posts a while ago, its cheap spray paint sold at dollar general. It is realy cheap and soaks in very well leaving no residue.