1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first rock ledge with bobcat (update)

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by WV Outdoorsman, Dec 21, 2011.

1. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

Well I have been working on this ledge for a bobcat I have ready to mount. This is my first rock ledge and first bobcat. I'm pretty happy with the ledge so far. I still have alot to do on it but it's coming along. I have the cat ready to be mounted I just thought I'd get the ledge done first. Give me some opinions if you would. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lower portion under the rock thats brown. I'm not really happy with that portion yet but I just shot some paint on it for the time being. I was going for that muddy wash out look like you see under most ledges. I'm thinking about taking drywall spackle mixing it with water and painting it on so I can add some detail to it then paint and texture. Anyways let me know what you think!!!

Thanks,
    WVO

[​IMG]

2. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

Re: My first rock ledge

what did you use to make the grooves on side of the foam and I think your are right maybe some drywall mud or fix-all to smear on the dirt part underneath it would give it a more dirt bank look for sure very nice work thanks

3. WV Outdoorsman

Thanks SH98. I was starting to wonder if everyone hated it:/ LOL!!! I used a dremel tool to carve out the grooves. I know it's a bit different looking rock but I was going for a slate style rock form. We have a lot of highwalls and slate or shale rock here in WV and thats the look I was after. I have alot more to do and some good feed back from MT as well to help out.

Thanks again,
    WVO

4. Re: My first rock ledge

Loving the slate part. Not digging the part under his hind feet.

5. Re: My first rock ledge

I like your idea and it looks good. I think a few things that I'd change is that you don't normally see rounded slate ledges when they hang out and maybe make the edges of your layers more eratic. It looks good. Duplicating mother nature is probably harder than bringing a mount back to life. Good luck.

6. WV Outdoorsman

Alright guys and gals!!!! thanks for the input thats exactly what I was wanting:) None of it is even close to finished. Taxidermy is a hobby for me right now so I just work on it as I have the time maybe an evening or two a week. The section under his rear feet hasn't had anything other than a light coat of brown shot on it to get my gearz a going a little to see what it needed. I got some really good input from MT about adding some plaster work to it as well so I am planning on making some major adds and changes. I'm wanting to make the lower portion look more like washed out mud like you see under alot of overhanging areas. So I am planning on reshaping that and I am also going to plaster some of the upper section too.

Thanks again I appreciate it!!!

WVO

7. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

The layered look is really nice, have you considered using various thickness for the stack? Thanks for the ideas.

8. WV Outdoorsman

Well rigbobby I don't have various thickness of foam but I think I'm going to try taking a small torch to a spare piece and see how it reacts to the heat and if I can control it and it shapes correctly between it and a knife various shapes and thickness may be a new option. Thanks for the input MT also suggested it as well. Lots of good ideas!!!! Thanks everyone!!!

WVO

9. Re: My first rock ledge

I think torching it is a bad idea, because you could be letting off toxic fumes!

If you go to home depot or lowes they should have 1/2 inch, 1 inch, and 2 inch thick foam insulation you can buy for pretty cheap. :)

10. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Just double and triple the foam to get what you want. Try a very stiff wire brush to get the look on the edges once you have the entire rock built. Cover with a thin coat of rock mix and once again use the wire brush to bring out the detail . Add paint and extra habitat. Compliment the mount, don't overwhelm it.

11. WV Outdoorsman

Thanks Jim for the tips, I appreciate it!!!

WVO

12. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

If you can work on it outside, then torching is a wonderful way to creat many different looks. I've been doing that for nearly fourty years There is certain ways to achieve differet looks, that just comes with experience. I would lose the roundness of the ledges, maybe make them more jagged and some taper to them possibly. I would make some different thicknesses, can be done with a torch. I would also put some fine roots hanging from underneath. There are many ways to embelish it without overdoing it. Just keep working at it, just dont make it look fake.

13. WV Outdoorsman

MT I had thought about doing the roots. Any sudgestions on how to achieve that effect? I saw someone use a rope but not really sure what they used to cover it with.

Thanks,
    WVO

14. boycea

boycea New Member

That is pretty awesome

15. WV Outdoorsman

WOW!!! The torch really made it look much gooder:} LOL!!!

WVO

16. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

more pics needed

17. WV Outdoorsman

born2shoot, I am almost finished with the whole project. I don't want to post it until it's completed:) The cat is still drying and I have some finishing touches on the rock. I have just been working on it here and there when I have the chance. Thanks for wanting to see more!!! Won't be much longer....

WVO

18. Jamie E

Jamie E Member

anxious for the results !

19. WV Outdoorsman

Thanks Jamie, I hope to finish it up in the next day or so. Hopefully!!!

WVO

20. Re: My first rock ledge

I'ld like to take building instructions because that's very cool. Do a tutorial Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Stevens
    Russellville, Alabama