1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first rock ledge with bobcat (update)

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by WV Outdoorsman, Dec 21, 2011.

1. bigbucktn

bigbucktn New Member

i think it looks awesome, than again i havnt ever built one, but if i was your customer id be tickled with that

2. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

still waiting for those pics lol.....I am a littl impatient......A tutorial wul be great on this too likeaid before.

3. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

Well guys and gals I still have some finish work to do on the cat after it dries, hence the t pins still on the cats face. I also have a few more leaves and ground cover to add to the rock ledge but for the most part it's prob. 95% complete. I really enjoyed this one and I'm going to enjoy it for years to come hanging on my wall:) I'm anxious to hear what you all think of it. I'm sure there are plenty of things that could be better on the bobcat and hopefully I'll have many more to learn with. I used a whole container of plaster on the rock and then tore it all off after it dried. I just couldn't get the look I was after using the plaster (sorry MT). I'll try it over some chicken wire sometime. I also want to use my digital camera and get some better pics of it. It's in my garage under flourescent lights which don't take good pics and I blurred the last one a little but I can't wait anymore to post it!!! So let me know your opinons. I am very happy with it, it's mine so that all that matters on this one:} But I still want to learn from it.

Thanks,
    WVO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Looks great, cat needs grooming though, the plate around the face looks deflated, and the fur on the hind leg is off.

5. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I think it looks awesome! Very nice work and attention to detail.

6. WV Outdoorsman

Rhasputin, give me some input on the grooming please and the hind leg. I have used the air from my air compressor on it and back brushed it several times. Any recommendations and what looks off on the rear leg? I Know I need to post some better pics of the cat but the weather here is too nasty to take outside pics of it.

Thanks,
    WVO

7. It could just be the photo, but it looks like the fur is pulled out a bit too much on the back leg. . . like, the fur that should be further towards the inside of the leg, tucked between the form and leg, is pulled out onto the leg.

The face plate, looks like it needs to be pulled up a bit on either side, to me. It does go out more on some cats, and down more on others, but I think the mount will look more attractive with it out more than it is now. In my opinion, it should give the face a very round frame. And again, maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it looks like the plate is pulled very down, and very back to me.

8. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

did you end up burning it?
    What kind of paint did you use?and did you put anything over the styrofoam before you painted it>

I would love a tutorial on this next time you ?ave time.

9. WV Outdoorsman

Thanks Rhasputin on your input I really do appreciate it!!! I wish I could have posted it with better pics before it dried. I worked on this on my day off and then had to work all week so I really didn't have a chance to. It amazes me how you folks can look at a pic of a mount and pick these things out. I guess it comes with time and experience. I stood in front of it one evening and tweaked and primped on it and I was just in awl at how well I thought it turned out for my first:) I just love the way it looks but I know there are things that could be better. Once again thanks for the input.

WVO

10. jwilson48

jwilson48 New Member

the cat could use a little work, but it's a good start. i love that base. you need to let me know what steps you did to make that, materials used etc. it looks crazy good!

11. WV Outdoorsman

OK jwilson don't just leave me hanging on the cat. What do you recomend:) I need tips and input!!! Thanks for the comment on the rock!!!

WVO

12. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Really like the base. What a change from the original. Your cat needs a bath. wash him with pert plus and rinse well and put the air to it and get it dry. Dry it clear to the skin to get the loft you need. Something you may have already thought of.... if you put that cat on the wall its looking up and away from you. I would want that cat to be looking right back at me. Your back leg needs to have the skin taxi'ed around to get the lighter fur under the leg more. One last idea, if you can not babysit a piece just wrap it up and freeze it till you can spend the time to keep at it .
    Keep on keepin on and enjoy it all.

13. jwilson48

jwilson48 New Member

the two things i noticed has already been discussed. the hind leg is the biggest thing. the fur appears that it needed to be tucked into the manikin more it would line the hair pattern up better. plenty of hide paste will make it slide into place easier. to me that is the hardest part about a lifesize over a shoulder/pedestal mount. like i said though it looks great. i haven't done a bobcat yet, probably going to do my first one in a few weeks.

14. Jamie E

Jamie E Member

turned out awesome ! rock looks like alot of the ledges here in ky too. I like it !GREAT JOB ! What all materials did u use ?

15. WV Outdoorsman

Thanks guys for all the input I appreciate it. Jamie the whole rock is made of foam.

WVO

16. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Just had to let you know how GREAT your ledge looks. Love it. Keep up the great work!

17. WV Outdoorsman

Boarzhead, thank you for the compliment I really appreciate it!!! Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to learn, learn and learn:)

Thanks again,
    WVO