1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dollar General fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Doug A, Dec 22, 2011.

1. This post can only be classified as a learn from my fail.
    I got a crappie this week that was assulted / mounted some time ago. No fins, bad paint etc. Customer wanted it redone for a Christmas present. I had some cast fins already and took the job. the new paint was looking better than it was when it was caught origionally. It has been raining here alot lately so I decided to use a two part resin gloss, still going good. I knew it would dry slow and the coat will start to run so I put it on a right angle gear box I use to turn crankbaits when they are drying after the finish. After 2 hours everything was better that imagined so I went to bed. This morning I found the fish laying on a Dollar General bag. The resin kicked and melted the bag to the fish and got rock hard. Fish looks like it has a sponser and ready for NASCAR now. The real fun fail here is it was looking so good I told the customer yesterday to get it today.
    The only thing I can think of is going fishing to find another one.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Darn Doug, I hate to hear about your disaster....your story makes most of my Christmas problems trivial right now. Hope you can come up with a solution soon!

3. No problem. Even in this condition it looks better than when it was origionally done. I am going to try to get a heat gun and melt the epoxy off, repaint, and hope for the taxidermy elves to come to my shop at night and fix it.

4. Easy fix. Just put that side to the wall. ;)

Bruce

5. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Man that's not good but can be fixed......yr first mistake: shopping at Dollar General.....lol

6. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Sorry to hear that but did get a good laugh.Maybe its time for the Repro Man.Some wont never mention taxing and dermy dont always gel.I like your honesty.I once left a walleye for the inexperienced lady of the house to finish.While I was out of town she painted and the client picked it up later calling and say it was a walleye not a goldfish.Lost a client so now he's become a ex customer.Best of Luck.

7. update, a heat gun and lacker thinner got the fish back down to the scales. painted it back and it turned out good. sweated it but the multiple "thats awesome" from customer make it ok. Will post pics when I can.

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Too late for this, but I would have probably picked off as much paper as I could and then hand sanded the rest. Hopefully, just taking the paper and then some gloss off. Then, lightly sand and regloss, done. Next time use a fan - lol!