1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Tools For Deer Heads

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tc_firefighter311, Dec 23, 2011.

1. tc_firefighter311

tc_firefighter311 New Member

Looking to do my first deer head, Wondering if there is any and what tools i need to taxi deer heads. I have ordered the most important tool for a beginner, Rick Carters A-Z whitetails. What else do i need. Thanks Tommy

2. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

I just got the Rick Carter DVD last week and he does an awesome job of showing how it's done. One thing I know I want to order is the tool used to seperate the ears. A stand would also be very handy. There were several other items I wanted to order but I can't remember them all. I'm sure the more experienced folks will chime in. Good luck!!!

WVO

3. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't get too carried away with tools for the first one.

Patience will help big time. Watch the DVD first, Ricks video is outstanding. Right there you'll learn what is needed to do and can get an idea of the kinds of tools you need.

Next, gather up the bare essentials and find a specimen that doesn't mean much. That way you won't be upset if (when) you mess it up. What I mean by that is, don't mount your sons first buck and expect it to look great, or your biggest buck ever, etc. Take those to someone that knows what they're doing and practice on someones dinker buck or an old rack you have laying around. The first one could be "ok" but most likely it will look like garbage especially if you're flying solo.

So do the best you can and see if you actually enjoy taxidermy.

If you finish the mount and it seems like something you're going to stick with and enjoy, buy more tools.

My first 5 or so deer were mounted without a stand, no tucking tools, God, hardly had anything come to think of it.

A stand is a HUGE help, but you can get away without it for your trial run.

I would say bare bones tools you need:

drill/driver
    flathead screwdrivers (assorted sizes used for everything from tucking to caping)
    sharp knives or a scalpel
    sewing needle

Other than materials, that's it. You could even fashion a makeshift stand out of wood for the first one.

Like I said, I wouldn't invest a lot into it until you know if you like it and have a desire to improve. Taxidermy's not easy, requires a lot of different skills and definitely artistic ability.

Good luck!

4. slee

slee New Member

I'm going the other route. I have bought most of the tools Rick Carter used in his video.... Pretty hard to make a good looking mount with sub-pr tools/equipment. I rather do things right the first time then do a half a$$ job because I didn't have every thing I needed. JMO

5. tc_firefighter311

Thanks Guys. When video comes in i will watch and get some small stuff to help out the job before investing alot. But some tools will be handy, and make life easier.

6. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

make your own stand you must know someone with a welder took the pic of a stand to the scrap yard bought some angle iron and some of the stuff i thought i would need and a 12 pack, went to a Buddy's place with a welder and said hey can you help me weld this? he said sure 1 hr later 20 dollares iin material 12 bucks for a 12 pack i had my stand i will sell and ship to you for the low price of 200 out of the McKenzie catalog

7. tc_firefighter311

Stand is not a problem I'm a machinist/welder for my profession. Just curious about hand tools.