1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gassers unite! A safety sermon~laquer, Mineral spirits colemans oh my~~

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RDA, Dec 27, 2011.

1. RDA

RDA Active Member

These fine products make for the best results in speed,ease,quality and longevety in treating bird skins for mounting...(just in case you havent heard) :eek: 8) ;D

Thre ARE CAUTIONS about using these products as are are flamable to one degree or another. It is possible to put ciggarettes out in colemans fuel, yet of one were to drop off a table causing sparks on the way down,that same fule will ignite. If one dribbles gas from the tub across a garage going right in front of an open flame kerosene burner ,,,POOF! Yet, at 11 i started using this for the final degreasing of bird skins as MOST of the WELL known and respected world wide Bird guys use this same procedure. It has with stood the test of time in regards to speed , ease, quality of skin and feather as well. Other things to avoid are: putting them in any appliance such as washers, dryers, micro waves etc etc. EVERY taxidermy shop, be it the garage, spare room or commercial operation NEEDS to have an ABC type fire extinghuisher available..I have three so wherever im at in the shop, access is there. They are cheap and could save you $$$ in the long run. That DOESNT have just to do with the use of colemans or solvents, as MOST of the stuff we work with can be quite flammable. Use ventilation or secluded spots to degrease your birds and lids keep fumes lower. Dont use compressed air to blow off a dripping -with-fuel bird while standing across a small room from a floorheater thats going. Just use common sense basically . SOME tumblers have been known to build up static electricity and can be hazardous to an extent ESPECIALLY when putting in a still dripping- with- fuel- bird. Remedies include replacing drum, using wooden baffels inside, matte finishing the inside,and checking to make sure the powere and motor are properly grounded. Home made wooden octagon tumblers still do a perfect job and are easy/cheap to build and remove any static problems.

Here is my particular procedure for degreasing a duck.

A) wire wheel the fat off getting as much as possible
    B) thourough wash in dawn rinse, and lightly squeeze then let drip for a few.
    C) then into COLEMANS fuel for about twenty five minutes or so - using enough fuel to float the skin feather side up. Use Rubber gloves when handling fueled skins. Swish it around, open the neck making sure fuel gets everywhere then let soak.
    D)Remove from the tub of fuel, ring out lightly, then hang above the tub letting it drip until it stops.( good time for mannikin prep and such)
    E)Into the tumbler which is a mix of hardwood sawdust, corn cob grit and borax- remove when feathers fluff-(round here about ten minutes) blow off tumble mixture with 70 lbs of air then get a whole lot of grooming done in a heartbeat or two with some crafty air manipulation, and the skin is ready to mount.. ;)
    F) pour the remaining fuel back nto the can with a funnel until down to just the YELLOW sludge in the bottom, which i use as a weed killer out back.

This procedure is used on all birds except doves which a try and avoid dipping in fuel or washing at all!

Now if you go to the catalogues and look at the guys selling products in them,or go to the WTC site and look at the judges list,, or see an NTA judges list or see any of the repeated TOP award winners throughout the last two decades, 90% or better of Those Guys use a similiar procedure.... :eek: :eek: ;)

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Just a question from somebody who mounts birds..... BUT by no means is a 'bird guy'. Why is it so acceptable (and some say necessary) to use gas to degreaser a bird, but not fatty animals such as raccoons and beaver?

Why is it so nessacary on waterfowl but not mammals?

3. RDA

RDA Active Member

you can MP.But often times, you have to think about compatability with TANS and most advise specific degreasers. SALT does a lot of it, But ive degreased lots of different specimansat times in colemans and small squirrels and such get denatured alchahol for a few moments. And of course one can get a clean bird w/o solvents but it takes more time and labor and even after that you can still get a remaininng littleyellow sludge in the bottom of a tub of cloemans. There are three main types of fat in birds, then an inner epedermis layer of oil, then preening oils on the plumage and outer skin- (the stuff that water proofs them).. Yes they are clean, but its nearly impossible to get every little millameter of skin scrubbed with a tooth brush or a wire wheel. That is what is removed in the final degreasing. I would LOVE not to have to pay the price we do around here for colemans, but the results in speed, ease, quality keep me wishing i owned stock in colemans..

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Isn't naphta cheaper than Coleman Fuel? I don't use it, but I'm sure Coleman is making money off of selling it under their name brand.

5. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

where do you get naptha?

6. alexm

alexm New Member

x2 ?

7. George

Last can I bought came from Tractor Supply Company.

8. RDA

RDA Active Member

after searching availability of NAPTHA ,, there is NONE in nevada nor any surrounding state. there seems to be a Mississippi distributor and i can get Fels-naptha luandry soap,, but ,,,as i said before,,,,,,,,,,,,Its COLEMANS....

9. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

RDA, I have been useing mineral spirits with great results and I can pick it up at the hardware store down the street for about 8 bucks a gallon...Have you tried it?...DC

10. George

The guy at the Northtowne Lane Home Depot there in Reno says all the stores there have it in stock. It was a lot pricier than I paid so I'd guess Coleman fuel would be more economic

11. I have used Gasoline, yep right from the pump to degrease cats, coons and fox. tumble in DP and mount.

I have also used Denatured alcohol in the same skins with zero problem.

Now someone explain why DDenatured alh with a ph of way over 6 will not cause hair slip.

I have also done several deer with Denatured alc, and not had any problems.

12. Wingnut

Wingnut New Member

I thought I would throw this into the "mix", thirty years ago, when Coleman's fuel and "white" gas went from a buck and some change for a gallon at your local retail store, to over five bucks a can, I tried regular "unleaded" gas, then about eighty cents a gallon, and found that the results were the same. I still use unleaded, regular gas today, and I run through about three gallons a week, not counting weeks of large turkey mounts. Of course, EVERYTHING is done out-of-doors, and I find that the regular gasoline performs well, giving me what gas does for a bird skin mount, a quicker drying time in the tumbler and for me, a cleaner, drier skin. I run the same procedure in washing and gassing and drying as everyone else, I just "gas" a few minutes, towel dry, air dry, then tumble. My main objective is SPEED in this process, and, if you ADP a week's use of three gallons of Coleman's against three gallons of regular unleaded, your looking at about a twenty dollar difference, multiply that times four weeks a month, then again by twelve months a year...yeah, that's over eight hundred dollars a year in savings! Gosh, maybe that's the savings needed for that special hunting trip you wanted to make,,,,LOL! I'm not arguing the "gas", not "gas" subject, as I use both methods frequently, it's just a thought on possibly saving a bit of coin, for those who use gas. And, Ron, I'm not sticking my cigar into a can of Coleman's to test your theory, LOL, I trust your correct! LOL!

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Aside from, the fact that you can blow yourself up, there is also the danger of benzene, toluene, xylene, and naphthylene being breathed in or absorbed by your skin. I'm not a national champion though, so my opinion likely doesn't count.

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Active Member

Mike, the answer is simple...water based degreasers DO work, and we use them with mammals. But, feathers are another story. The feathers typically need additional cleaning to seperate properly. Plus, some just feel its the better way. I dont even wanna stir the pot by asking the solvent guys if they notice their birds lost their natural sheen, lol. Gas is the method many use to not so much degrease, as to chase and displace the water based soaps that do degrease. Id still stay away from those solvents though, as Im not so sure they dont pull color as well as the needed natural oil.

.............Ok, Im adding this cuz some had questioned what I meant above. Gas can degrease, but I feel its as important if not more important to remove water and water base soap to really fluff feathers. Also, while gas is used with success despite its safety issues, its not near as harsh as some solvents we have been told about in the past.

15. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

if they lost sheen or color....they would not have been used very long by those that developed it.....or by those that use it to this day.....

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

A couple posters asked so I am replying to them for their information....

I buy Naptha in five gallon cans at Sherwin Williams for around $30 or so. I use it for industrial purposes not taxidermy. Just putting this here for informative purposes. VMP Naptha is very low odor and evaporates pretty quickly. I have no idea about it's suitability for doing birds. I do not do them.

17. I've been using acetone or laquer thinner since I was a kid only later started taking more precautions. I use it cause it gives me the fastest degreasing and evaporation compared to any other solvent. I swish in the bucket about 30 seconds squeeze out and into the tumbler. I dont care that it is expensive, I use what works well and its cheaper in the long run compared to hanging birds and going through a 2 hr washing/drying process.

18. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

Proud gasser can't live without Coleman

19. Nancy C

Nancy C Active Member

Ron, you almost made me spit coffee out of my nose!

20. RDA

RDA Active Member

LOL,,,glad i could lighten yur morning Nancy.. ;) :D