1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Bobcat

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by chris_kreiner, Dec 27, 2011.

1. I've been doing taxidermy since 2006 and this is the first bobcat that I have mounted. I was very picky about as much detail as I could depict from google photos. I know it is hard to tell from the photos I have provided but what would you guess this would take in the professional division at a state level? Customer picked it up already so entering it isn't going to happen, just curious is all!!! Critiques welcome!! Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

I think it looks great and if I were your customer Id be proud to display it ;)

I think the front inside corners of the eyes are a little wide. That dark area should be a bit narrower and deeper. This would also move the rest of the cheek skin up helping to get the whiskers up. The hair pattern around the whiskers on the cats right side of its face is a bit off, throwing the whiskers in different directions. I also think your ears are a tad bit too far forward which crowded up the hair just in front of the ears. Last thing that jumps at me is the hair patterns on the ears, that hair should sweep across the ear to help keep the bugs out. The grooming looks great! Very nice ;)

3. Gotcha...I kinda noticed the front corner of the eyes but wasn't quite sure and that makes sense that I had problems getting the wiskers right on the right side. Thanks for the pointers!!!

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What Bill said, he is spot on. I've seen worse 30th's. Cats are tough to get right and I think you did a great job.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I suppose that depends on what state, but I'd say probably a third. Looks like you had a great cat to work with. I agree with the critiques above. The mouth could use some work, especially the shape of the lower lips. They look too wide. Rasp everything off of the form and use epoxy in the lips and form them how you want them when you mount it. Hard to see the upper lips but I would guess they have the same problem. Nose color looks a little rich, but noses can vary. Most do have a dark line on the top ridge, and dark nostril interiors. The back corners of the eyes are way too low. Your ear edges look nice, and the tabs look decent too. Like Bill said though, watch that inner ear hair, back brush it a lot...every day til it's dry. Overall the cat is above average. Cats are hard, and that one is a heck of a lot better than my first.

Attached Files:

• pics.jpg
      pics.jpg
      File size:
      109.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Brian

Brian Active Member

looks great man.

7. I new to taxisermy and only have three years under my belt. I'm a fur trapper also and this looks like the real thing. I think you did a great job!! Here's to you, Adda Boy!!!!!!!!!

Michael Stevens
    Russellville, Alabama

8. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

I think it's beautiful Chris!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

WVO

9. Thanks alot guys!!! I am glad it has met more than the owners approval!! I actually got a call from the owner tonight thanking me again for the job I had done....This is the first time in the 5 years I've been doing taxidermy where I could really really tell my work was appreciated.

10. Love the nose.