1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear position on straight form

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by byrdman, Dec 29, 2011.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Am doing am straight upright whitetail for a good customer and not sure what to do with the ear position....has been 25 years since I mounted a "straight" deer head.......any sugestions?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    From my experience it depends on the rack. If it is inside the ears, a relaxed back would make the rack appear bigger. I mount the rack on the form and pin earliners in different positions to see what looks best. Hope this helps and good luck, 3bears

3. byrdman

pretty wide rack 19-20 inches......would they look best matching? ie both forward or both back..

4. I have never seen a very good looking straight mount. (even one of my own) I have always mounted the ears in a forward or aleart postition as per the pose" upright straight alert."

5. byrdman

dont like the pose myself...but customer has all his mounts stategically placed in his house so this one he needed straight....will prob go with ears forward alert...thanks

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Ya I hear you about not liking them. I have one to do as well. I will probably mount it with ears forward as well. Will see when I get to it. The only way I think to mount them that would be wrong is in the aggressive back postion. Go with what looks best to you, if the customer left it up to you. 3bears

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I just completed a mount for exactly the situation you have......the mount had to be looking straight. I took a right turn and cut off the left shoulder, so that the face was straight out of the wall. I added on to the right shoulder and had a "right turn that looked straight out. The customer loved it because it was going between a right and a left turn. I put both ears foreward, which I seldom do, but it worked in this case. For what you've got going there I think I'd put the ears back or at least put a little variation on the ear position to try and create the illusion that the deer is not just "straight"!

8. crowe1187

crowe1187 New Member

Straight upright forms seem to look more lifelike with ears forward

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A Glen Conley photo.
    When I HAVE to do a straight,,, I use this ear set.

Attached Files:

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Im not sure why we arent asking the person who has to look at the mount? I hate straights like some of you (I no longer will do a deer that way) but I always ask the customer on every job, and Id suggest seeing what theyd like on this one too.

11. Mason

Mason Active Member

That is one of the blanks that get filled in on our work orders, right beside pose, turn, then ear position.
    We make sure they specify, after they have gone through our catalogs and choose a form.

12. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

If the choice is mine, that's the same way I decide ear position.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I find asking the customer for an ear position only makes them scratch their head, and look funny at me. I do ask if they seem fussy, but the return guys just throw me money and tell me to call them when it is done.

14. byrdman

this is a good friend Ive known since high school and hes a big buck hunter who trusts me as the dermist ....finished it..will put up a pic

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

For as many years as Ive done this, I learned a LONG time ago to make the customer tell you. They wont say its wrong later, I dont take chances with the public anymore. You are right, we likely know more about it then they do, but.

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I hear ya, I ask them, but the normal responce is whatever you think looks best for the pose. I have a number of options mounted up in my showroom for them to see and decide but most still leave it up to me. I put in writing on the ticket as well. 3bears

17. verne

verne Well-Known Member

I`ll ask ,they tell me ; gets put in the contract,no fuss at the pick up ;D