1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Headed on a new journey

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Greg s, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Greg s

Greg s New Member

This is my first post here. I hope to provide a journal of my quest towards becoming a competent taxidermist/wildlife artist. I first want to thank Chuck Glass of On Time Taxidermy in Pa for allowing me the opportunity to spend time in his shop, and the confidence he had in me to get my hands involved. He is a great mentor, and very good taxidermist. On Monday I begin formal training. I will keep everyone posted. This journey begins the better half of my life. I am excited at the opportunity. Any positive advice would be appreciated. No negativity please.

2. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Good luck Greg! Keep us posted ;)

3. Matt

Matt New Member

I wish you all the best Greg, and remember to have fun with it!

4. shammy

shammy New Member

Greg I hope you enjoy it as well as I do.

5. Greg s

Greg s New Member

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. I am geared up.

6. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

good luck and have fun

7. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

Wish u the best

8. Greg s

Greg s New Member

Trucks all packed, specimens in hand,out the door at 4am. School is about 2 hrs away. Staying there during the week, home on Friday depending on weather situation. I have total family support. I also have some very fine specimens, thanks to a very supportive group of friends and family. I will send more later this week.

9. chadleek

chadleek New Member

good luck greg!

10. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

Good luck Greg!!! Keep us all posted!!! Take lots of notes and pics:}

WVO

11. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

Congrats Greg & good luck

12. Where r u doing your training if I might ask?

13. Greg s

Greg s New Member

Well it has been two days and I am really having fun. Did lots of skinning of deer, bear, and coyote today. Hides off to get tanned tomorrow. Bird course will be the next four weeks then fish, then fur. Training at Pocono Institute of Taxidermy. I will also continue with Chuck in his shop. The appeal of Taxidermy to me however is the learning never stops as evidenced by this site. I am planning to attend formal training of some sort on an annual basis. In addition I read some tutorial on this site each evening. I am a firm believer that the person who thinks they know everything knows nothing. This applies to everything in life. More later. Thanks again folks for the support and encouragement.

14. Greg s

Greg s New Member

Day thee, started upland birds today. Worked on pheasant. Had a great day. Instructor was very helpful. Our class gets along well with each other. Very relaxed atmosphere. Will mount bird tomorrow,then set to dry. Home for the weekend after class. Lovin it! Peace all,be safe.

15. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

Good stuff Greg, thanks for the update.

WVO

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

What a great experience you are having. Your attitude shows you will be a great taxidermist some day.

17. Agreed. If you decide to pursue this wholeheartedly, do as Winston Churchill said and "Never, never, never give up", despite the negativity and destructive criticism that you WILL hear. Be prepared for it. Lots of the criticism is really pride disguised as constructive criticism and some of it can even come from your closest loved ones. Just put it aside and persevere.

18. Well Greg what a great first week. Your bird looks fantastic. Thank you for being a good friend. Can't wait for week 2! See you Monday at school.
    Chris

19. Greg s

Greg s New Member

Chris, Your bird is the best! I really like all aspects of your mount. Your creative talents show. It is a true pleasure to be your classmate. Thanks for all the help.

20. Mountain wolf

Mountain wolf New Member

Your bird looks really great. Its a pleasure to be in class with you. Looking forward to next week. See ya Monday.
    Kevin

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine