1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

do most taxidermist salt their capes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by buckeyeoutfiter, Dec 29, 2011.

1. buckeyeoutfiter

buckeyeoutfiter New Member

I have a friend that stresses I need to salt every hide, that it helps lock the. Hair. Im scared to just salt my deer capes and throw them in the corner.... if u prefer this method plse exsplain how to salt.. he also told me to streach the hides after salting or they will srink up alot..... plse any info would be great

2. redwolf

redwolf New Member

Salting does lock, or set the hair. It draws out all the moisture and stops bacteria from growing. And yes, most taxidermists salt their skins.

3. jorgy

jorgy New Member

Yes, salt it laying flat for a day, shake it off, salt it again for a day or two, then I hang mine over a stick for a day then fold it up. Dont worry about stretching it, the tanning process will take care of the rest.

4. Salt it where the fluids will drain off the rear of the cape.

5. northernmontana

northernmontana Active Member

Always salt. Never heard of the stretching thing while salting?

6. shammy

shammy New Member

yes

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

I always salt except when I am using Krowtan.

8. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

I believe that the emphasis on "stretching" the cape is more to make sure that you get salt all the way to the edges AND make sure that there are no folded over edges or creases that the salt didn't get into. I wouldn't salt and then "throw them in the corner", however! They do need to be fleshed and turned BEFORE salting, not just skinned and salted.

9. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

X2 on the salt and shake and salt and hang

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

The salt is for wicking out the bodily juices and to remove moisture. Salt does not set hair, as it is only unset when re hydrated again at tanning.

11. redwolf

redwolf New Member

Paul, not that I'm arguing, but I thought when the moisture was taken out of the skin the salted follicles tightened up and locked the hair roots in.

12. Matt

Matt New Member

Yes Bob, but to a point. As T stated, they will "open" up when re-hydrated. Most guys think an iffy cape is saved if it makes it to turning, fleshing, and salting. Sometimes it's successfull, and sometimes, the cape never had a chance due to the handling or lack of before it was brought in.

13. redwolf

redwolf New Member

K. That explains it. lol Thanks Matt.

14. bigbucktn

bigbucktn New Member

what to do to a iffy cape then.....will stop rot help if applied to a iffy cape before the hair starts to slip, then salt and tan

15. Matt

Matt New Member

I have never used it. I have had several iffy ones come in and I get on them right away and get them to salt. Most of the time, I have been able to save them. If they are not slipping, I try and get them prepped. I had one come in that as green and smelled like roses!(LOL) I was able to save it and use it for a good spare.

16. bigbucktn

bigbucktn New Member

so i guess it is just a case of all iffy capes are diff. some can be almost rotten and still make it and some can not show no signs of anything being wrong and everything be wrong about it

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

disclaimer-- I do not do this to every hide, only the suspect green colored, and if they smell like a sweaty stinky hockey equipment bag.

I have taken green smelly hides, fleshed them, and rinsed them in cold water to remove most blood and dirt, then a rinse in a bleach water bath ( a little stiffer than swimming pool strength) for 10 minutes, agitating it often. Then hang and drain, roll up tight in bath towels for 10 minutes, then a good salt for a quick 8 hours, then rinsed and into the pickle. No guaranties, but it is one way to kill bacteria up front before salting.

But if it is going to slip, it's going to slip, we are dealing with raw skin, it is a roll of the dice even on fresh skins. Always have back up capes of different sizes in your inventory, sooner or later, you are going to use them.

18. Never heard of that T, but if it works what the heck. I called the guy from McKenzie, he told me if when I get in a cape that is iffy, make up a 10 gal. pickle and stick the cape in it ASAP. I didn't even have to split it or flesh anything, just get it into the pickle. I usually make up a 5gal wash. a couple lbs of salt, 5 gals of water, Kemal 4 and skin prep NBU. let it soak for a few minutes, then flesh it ASAP. SO far it's worked great. if its bad it's bad, ya can't win everytime.
    Jim

19. Redneck Express

Redneck Express New Member

mn
    so if im tannin my own hides i still have to salt thats were i get lost?. for my coyote i just fleshed turnd and split and tossd in the pickle was that incorect.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Yes you salt, you salt to wick out the bodily juices out of the skin that is trying to rot the skin, if you don't wick it out with salt first, the salt in the pickle has to try to do it, weakening the pickle strength. Salt everything if you are pickling and tanning.