1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by maximum, Dec 30, 2011.

1. maximum

maximum The one that got away! Made the other guy Famous!

My customer killed a nice deer with a longbow and would like to incorporate the longbow idea into the mount. I told him to give me his bow I would cut it in half and use it for a base! LOL! He wanted to find other options first...I am drawing a blank on this I would be greatful for any ideas.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Buy three identical bows, make a criss- cross tripod base, set a pedestal mount right in the middle of them.

3. a7d1

a7d1 New Member

Possibly do a pedestal mount but make a provision in the mount where he can easily attach and detach his bow. Almost make the mount into a bow holder if you will.

4. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

What about making a reproduction of "most" of his bow. Obviously don't use expensive woods or get carried away. Mostly focus on the riser section with a leather wrapped handle or shelf or whatever he has.

Then use that as a pedestal base. I would go entire riser with about 1/2 of the top and bottom limbs...Maybe a repro of his quiver and arrows as well.

Please excuse the retarded rough sketch, I could never get the hang of "drawing" with a "mouse". This is what I'm thinking...

[​IMG]

5. maximum

0ak I like it the only problem is do you think that would support a mount? I am at a loss. I am pretty creative but this has got me.

6. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

I think I would make the "bow" out of "all thread" or metal tubing (possibly bent to shape) and then just craft your own bow out of something like apoxie sculpt or bondo or something. Sand it, paint it to look like wood grain or even go over top of a rough shape with wood laminate and sand that to shape.

I think with some creativity (and difficult artistic hard work) you could make that realistic and able to support a mount.

Even the string doesn't have to be real, you may be able to use another thin piece of all thread and then just wrap it in a layer or two of actual bowstring material to give it the look of a string. It wouldn't offer much support, but act as a stabilizer to some extent.

Just thoughts though...I've never made anything like that, but a mount isn't that heavy, I'm sure you can figure out something.

If you happen to do something like that, definitely PM me with pictures and details, I'd love to see that come to life.
    Good luck. ---Matt

7. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Can be made out of 2 or 2 1/2 inch by 5/16 or 3/8 cold rolled stock bent to the shape of his bow and tapered a riser put on with a leather wrap, I'll even weld a attachment pin to the upper limb about 5 inches down out of 3/8 steel stock and a lower pin for the lower bow limb so all are removable. the pin on the lower limb would be at the string connection and your habitat would look like the bow tip is touching the ground. send me a picture of the bow and 495.00 you pay return shipping. I'll make the bow string out of 1/8 hardened steel or can use a normal string.

all thread will never hold it, never.

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I would concur. That stuff is ok for hanging something or if used in short lengths, but the longer it is the more bendable is becomes. Not suitable for any kind of arcing or even straight lower weight bearing support. It will simply sag.

9. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

You guys might be right, but all thread comes in some thick diameters right? I was trying to picture the largest all-thread I've ever seen and remembered it being THICK. But of course if that wouldn't do, make the core of the bow out of steel as * suggested.

Also, I wouldn't make the bow "full length". In my rough sketch, that's only like a quarter of the limbs or so.

A full length longbow could be 70" or so tip to tip....In my opinion, that's way too tall to put a buck on top of. I think it would look goofy and wouldn't fit most ceilings. I would use about as much "bow" as you have "deer". So approximately the length of the form from top of skull to bottom of brisket. For artistic balance...you know?

Again, good luck. Let us know if you go through with it and the details.

10. maximum

Dennis I love your idea and I am goin to try it. The cole roll will be stout enough for sure.