1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shipping Issues

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Uncle Harley, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Just wanted to Highlight something here as I was expecting a package that did not arive, look where this thing has been. It starts at the Bottom in Calumet City IL and it working it's way to me in Casey, IL. Now look that up on a map. I called the PO today and aparently it has to stop at effingham IL and then come over to Casey. Now this is the Post Office, they have one in every town, and they have been in the business of delivering packages since the pony express. If they have to re-route all over you can imagine what some instances why shipments from certain areas take forever or are more expensive. So like I said earlier in this thread, It's the shipping companies that are killing us, Not the taxidermy supply companies who simply pass those cost on to us ( who in turn should be passing them on to the customer )

Depart USPS Sort Facility, December 29, 2011, HAZELWOOD, MO 63042
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility, December 28, 2011, 4:20 pm, HAZELWOOD, MO 63042
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility, December 27, 2011, 11:31 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007
    Dispatched to Sort Facility, December 27, 2011, 2:31 pm, CALUMET CITY, IL 60409
    Acceptance, December 27, 2011, 12:42 pm, CALUMET CITY, IL 60409
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, December 26, 2011

2. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Harley i can believe this. Our town did away with the sorting machine. You mail a letter to someone 10 mile's across town, it's goes to the main post office 50 miles
    away to get sorted and come's back.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Exactly! I know this happens with UPS, Fed EX , etc as well and THAT is why sometimes it cost more for shipping from a company that is physically closer. This package has taken the better part of a week to make a 3 hr drive. My tannery 2 states away can ship skins and have them here in 1.5 days

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That's how they all do business. It's the most efficient way for them to ship. But, no wonder why sometimes the packages look like they've been socked with a baseball bat numerous times. I recently watched online a Christmas package come UPS from Missouri to here and it was the same scenario. It had like 6 stops on the way. Now, keep in mind I'm just outside of Chicago so it's not like I'm rural anything. But, the funny part was the package was at one point in Rockdale (15 minutes from my house). I was expecting it that day or the next at the worst. But, it went two more stops up north of me BEFORE coming back down to Joliet for delivery 2 days later! Funny thing was it was UPS and the box didn't have a ding on it - lol!

5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

and they wonder why they are going broke.

6. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    Fed ex does the same to me if I order from McKenzie It goes from NC to Grove City Ohio up St Rt 33 to Ft. Wayne Indiana then Back to my house. Would not be a problem Except I live 3 miles form St Rt 33. So the package goes past the house on a Tuesday, gets delivered to me on a Wednesday go figure

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

Exactly Jerry and this is why this country will go broke. Oh wait, I think we are going to borrow more money and then that POS in office right now is going to raise taxes after the 1st of the year, so were good for alittle while longer. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest right now. Yes, this is how the USPS has done it for years, buy honestly, how can this be the most efficient way?

8. I tried to ship 4 baby skunks last week thru the post office and they wanted 27.50. The box was only about 2 pounds. I told the lady at the desk that they were crooks and that this country is going to hell. Ended up taking it to a place that does UPS and the same box was 15.00.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

Wow, usually USPS is cheaper to ship. Couldn't you pack them well and ship them in a flat rate priority box? I would do it till after the 1st of the year, but I ship alot of priority mail and usually don't have any issues. Right now, priority runs 3-4 from what I have heard, but that is why I wait until after the holidays.

10. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

I worked for the USPS for a while. I saw flaws in their system that left me feeling uneasy to use them for shipping something important. That's why I use other shipping companies. And I bet most of them are not much (if any) better. LOL I'm just blissfully ignorant of what they do wrong.

That being said the USPS has been spinning down the drain for quite some time. It's failing and yet we don't look to fix it or find alternative methods.

We'll continue to borrow more money from the future (print money) and keep the failed system going, but we're due for a big collapse (bigger than 2009) and not just USPS will crumble. Everything will.

It's the economy seeking balance. When everything over-inflates, it eventually pops and falls below fair value and then usually begins to rise again. Just study the markets for a little bit. (and I don't claim to know much compared to most that study it for their livliehood)

Hard to imagine, but unless they just continue to ignore the future and print money, it has to happen.

I know this has little to do with your shipping dilemma and I apologize for going off track, but it just made me think of all our future problems.

11. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

The USPS, UPS, and FedEx are just doing what the federal government is doing.
    ignoring the real solutions and bleed the public.
    They pretend that they do not know that if they cut the top-end of management in half
    and have pay consessions for the rest of the managent as well as eliminate waste and
    inefficiency that they would be well on their way to correcting the problem.
    Until they do the above mention, they'll continue the crappy service and high prices
    because we the public have to pay for it.