1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DEGREASING TANK

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by RDMARTIN53, Jan 1, 2012.

1. glatro22

glatro22 New Member

first off i would like to thank all the knowledgeable people on this forum for sharing their experience and expertise.

this is my tank.

Attached Files:

• gif1.gif
      gif1.gif
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
  2. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

glatro....that is one fine tank! Well done!

What is under the cover? Particulars??

3. michael69

michael69 Active Member

Thats a nice tank...is there a drain system underneath, or do you have to drain each bucket individually?

4. glatro22

glatro22 New Member

When each bucket is dirty i dump that bucket and refill it.
    to drain the Large tank i use a marine bilge pump to suck the water out.

there is a rack in the bottom from a heavy plastic shelving unit (for a garage) that i cut the legs so the buckets would all be even and not put the weight on the lid even though they seal down to the lid with the lip of the bucket.

1500 watt element.
    lid has 1 inch foil insulation in it.

tank is a 2x4 frame with insulation on all 4 sides and bottom.

works excellent. Seems to be very efficient.

wasn't good on the wallet but i hope it lasts.
    Next tank i build needs to be money efficient

One thing I may do is get a bilge pump or aquarium circulation pump to move the water in the large tank around and kick on when the element does.

Attached Files:

• gif3.gif
      gif3.gif
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

What did you line the tank with to hold the water?

6. glatro22

glatro22 New Member

It was a large tank that held hydraulic oil that I cut down to size..,..in the pic above you can see the metal cage below it.

This was from the post that "toxic"posted a few months back......I happened to already have a few of them tanks.

7. I just saw this thread I posted mine on a new thread but here it is. It runs on propane and the burner is out of a water heater. It hold the temperature pretty well and it does not use too much gas. [​IMG][​IMG]

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Nice set ups!

9. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

For those that use plywood lids with holes cut for buckets, what do you do about the holes if there are no buckets in them? Seems like it would let the heat out.

10. Blue Tick

Blue Tick New Member

Can you post any more details on this build? I've got 2 of these right now and man this is a great idea!

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

So the black first goes to the thermostat and then f rom there to the heating element and the white goes straight to the other terminal of the heating element to complete the circut? Is this correct?

12. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Love the Rocketship hot water heater!! Great systems posted. Please keep them coming!

13. Ok this is a commercial water heater ( I think it was like a 50 gallon or so). We cut it pretty much in half and welded some legs on it. That was the easy part. The hard part was to get the air mixture right to make the flame burn the right way. Pretty much you have to just play with it with adding holes or plugging up holes etc. I don't thing a regular house water heater is big enough. (but you might be able to get a couple of deer heads in there) Anyway if you have anymore questions let me know.

Thanks

Scott

14. Nice for a few skulls BUT I have a major safety concern.
    I work for a propane company and have been there going on 26 years. You are setting yourself up for CARBON MONOXIDE poisoning with no vent on this thing. All it takes is a little rust to plug up a hole or two in the burner and now you have trouble. I shouldn't have to remind anyone that with water and heat, comes rust. It can and does happen all the time.
    PLEASE vent it somehow.
    Just watching out for everyones safety!

15. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    I'm trying this bulk degreasing tank set up now with a 12 foot Gator skull (2) 13 foot Gator skulls and 15 deer. I'm getting lots of grease coming out. Temps around bucket heater is around 128 . Other side of tank is reading 118 and down deep in tank is reading 108. Bucket heater is also down deep. Any ideas on how to keep more regular?

16. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Get a bilge pump from harbor freight for $15 to circ the water.

17. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    I put a smaller aquarium pump in it and with dawn, I made a big ole bubble bath,. Suds everywhere!

18. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

no not one that blows air, you want a circ pump like : http://www.harborfreight.com/158-gph-miniature-submersible-fountain-pump-68396.html
    Thats the one I use in my tanks and buckets to keep things moving, just blows water, not air so you have no foaming.

19. michael69

michael69 Active Member

The smallest water feature pump they make would work fine.

20. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    10-4 . Thats what I need