1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

display windows

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mounted in mcgregor, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mounted in mcgregor

mounted in mcgregor New Member

need advise. i have a new shop and it has two large display windows perfect for displaying my mounts. the problem is that these windows face due west and i know anything i put in those windows will fade. will window tinting protect my mounts from uv rays(which i guess is the cause of fading) and if not do any of you have any suggestions in which i may protect my mounts? the display windows are 8x10x7(ft) each (use to be a dress shop).

thanks
    doc

2. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

Id probably just have the windows taken out...if you go ahead and tint them you wont be able to see through them that well anyways and you'll probably save on heating/cooling

3. Window tint should be able to protect your mounts from fading, but not all window tints are created equal. Here's a link to a study comparing UV-blocking window films for use in museums. The results should also help when choosing a film for use in a exterior window. http://cool.conservation-us.org/waac/wn/wn32/wn32-1/wn32-104.pdf

4. Eric E.

Eric E. Member

What you could do is place some nice full color pictures/posters of your mounts on stands almost like an art gallery would do. You could rotate them month by month. They would last a long time and look very nice and professional without worry about damaging an actual display over time.

They can always be reprinted once they fade enough to not look professional or new ones of more recent work can be added as you find new favorites.

Just a thought................

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

And/or possibly add a couple of fabric or hard awnings (depending on budget) to block the sun (and shade your viewing potential customers). Or, just some shades pulled up to block the top foot or so where the sun will be hitting the bulk of the time...

6. mounted in mcgregor

mounted in mcgregor New Member

thanks for all the suggestions. finally got the approval from the city of mcgregor to build an awning. this should take care of it.