1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wanted Small birds native to texas

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Corey, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Corey

Corey New Member

Hi, I am an artist living in Dallas Texas and I am in need of some taxidermy small birds - like sparrows or such.
    Thanks, Corey

2. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Hi Corey,

All birds NATIVE to texas are highly protected.. With the exception of gamebirds which have their own set of regulations. You would most likely be breaking a federal law by possessing any small Native Texas birds.

Both the Dallas and Ft worth museums of Science and History have vast study skin collections available to you by appointment. That would be your best bet.

Jon~

3. Michael Pelc

Michael Pelc Guest

Corey,

Many colleges (universities and those teaching the biological sciences) have vast museum collections of birds. Such museums typically have a great many study skins, and possibly taxidermy mounts, which are excellent for feather shape, color, etc. Likely, study skins would have specimen tags attached, giving lengths of bill, tarsus, tail, and overall length, which can be used as size guides. Most curators of these museums are more than happy to make these available to the artist, when used at their facility. Bring along a sketch pad, note pad, camera, small ruler, and if allowed, artist colors for ‘blending to match’ specimen colors. Modeling in non-hardening clay can also be an excellent tool, if permitted, while examining a collection . . . just be cautious of oil transfer to the specimen.

Using the museum collected information in conjunction with photos from online photo sources, magazines, libraries, etc, (which are excellent sources for general anatomy shape and proportions), and if possible, field studies, you should have all that is needed to accurately portray the desired bird.

Jon gives excellent counsel also.

Michael

4. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

When you contact the Dallas Museum of Nature and Science, ask to speak with Karen Jordon, collections manager; tell her Amethyst gave you her name. I'd give you her e-mail, but with the museum merger, they are still working out the bugs in the e-mail and phone system. Also, wait until after the state fair to try to make an appointment, with the museum located in fair park you'll have to pay tons of $$$ to park and get in the gate. I didn't even bother to get a parking pass this year because it was such a hassle.

What are you interested in the birds for, Corey? For reference or do you need a bird for in a piece of art?

Later, Amethyst aka Wolf

5. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

If youre closer to the Ft worth side of town, contact Leishawn Spotted Bear or William Voss.. They will get in you to see the collections.

Jon~