1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail deer vs clay ...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by taxidermie.la.batture, Jan 3, 2012.

1. When I do again the musculature of eyes with clay, I must let it dry before putting my cape? ??? ???

Thank you for your help

2. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard Member

I usually put the cape on the form, over the head area, and then set the eyes to keep from messing up the clay work. If you wait till the clay is dry you may not be able to tuck the skin in that area properly. ;D

3. keep mine wet. then i can adjust. you can take your time and do it in great detail but i just get the appoximent amount of clay around eye and shape threw the skin with diff. tools. thats jmo. im sure others will tell you different ways thats just how i do mine for now. i would check past forums using search. am sure there is plenty info in archives on this very topic. best of luck to ya

4. I take two 1/4 inch rods about 10 long. Roll out your clay and place it between the two rods then take a pice of plexiglass and roll the clay to the length you need. Then cut the rolled out clay into 4 pieces about 1 1/2 inch long. then cut two pieces about 1/2" long for the eye lid. This gives me the same amount of clay for each eye.
    Jim

5. You don't want it to dry. If clay is too wet, or you're worried about squishing it, you can try using epoxy sculpt to set your eyes as well. But also work with it before it dries, in the first hour or two would be best.

6. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I know who taught ya that one Jimbo lol !!!! I took a class with him last year and that tip right there made a HUGE difference for me!!!!!

7. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 Member

Learn something everyday.....gonna have to try the plexiglass trick. Makes since

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Well call me stupid, but I don't get it. Why the same amount of clay? Are we afraid of expression in our eye sets? So you have the same amount of clay measured or weighed out, unless you put the clay in the exact same spot what did you accomplish? What if he's looking left? You then need to raise the right eyes brow. Grab a chunk of clay and sculpt until you get it right. Rolling in ones hands works just fine. How much to use depends on the mannikin and expression you are working with. Don't try to make your work resemble an assembly line. Be creative and artistic. Expand your knowledge of anatomy and learn to recreate the wide open world of nature and its unlimited possibilities. Don't put yourself in a box. Think outside the box and let your juices flow. You might be surprized at what you may learn.

9. well said antlerman

10. I don't work in a BOX, that just gives me a good starting point. Your right It does depend on the form, most of them do require a little more on one side or the other. But it work's for me. To many people have a problem with symmetry, and I was one of them, this method helped me get past it. ya like or ya don't.
    Jim

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

X
    X2...great tip!

12. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I dont do the plexiglass thing either but like Jim said , it helped with symmetry and I HAD a problem with that.....this helped me .......I like to do things that HELP ME LOL ! I guess I'm an assembly line then ;)

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I just roll the clay with my fingers, I can get it close that way ;). But, even though I join you all as a wet clay eye set up, theres also others who prefer to preset the eye work and then go back over it with the cape and a fresh thin roll of clay for the very edge. Thats not my preference but it works for those who have mastered it.

Ive seen enough sleepy eyed mounts to see that regardless, many are using too much clay with either method.

14. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Not argue'n witya Bill, but I much rather see a "sleepy" eye than someone just poked me in the ass with a needle look either lol. I'm sure you can see that in MY work ;D I tend to try to stay towards the sleepy look more than the shocked to see me look I guess :D I roll it in hand to a certain dia ..yup everytime, then measure it to a certain leanth ...yup everytime, I set my eyes and leave them to "tighten up" or set up (not rock hard ) but hard enough that it doesnt get destroyed when puling my capre over. by the time I get glue and a damp cape on the eye the clay becomes workable without starting from scratch. Heck we ALL have our ways of doin things, I guess the end result is what were all after right.

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Not arguing either Rick, I hear ya. I guess Id rather have an alert alive look then a sleeper or a shocker, truth be told, lol. :eek:

16. Thank you so much for all your suggestions and tips. A feed back will be send for tell you what is work for me !