1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tannery stretch ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by JEJ, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JEJ

JEJ Member

Question, I use wildlife gallery as one of my tanneries, but seem to be having an issue with stretch. I get their wet tan, and really like it, but seem t o not be able to get much stretch out of them. They all seem to be looking like giraffes, and I wrench on them in all directions for half hour it seems and don't seem like I'm getting much let out. Anyone else have this issue?
  2. joeps

joeps Active Member

just mounted up a rush cape from them ,no problems getting stretch

3. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

Do you use the synthetic or alum wet tan? I was going to send out 10 capes in the next couple days and was trying to decide which to do, I called there and they claim the wet alum tan has a lot more stretch but shrinks more while drying and the synthetic has less stretch but doesn't shrink as much and has a longer shelf life so I have no idea what to think about it!
  4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

We use nothing but their alum tan. You are rehydrating them aren't you? Even though they are wet tanned, they need dunked, drained and bagged.
  5. Quick Tip: Spray the cape down will Downy Fabric Softener and rub it in (on the skin side of course). Make sure it has a good coat on there. Let it sit for 20 mins and do it again. then try and stretch on it. the fabric softener will loosen things up and allow it to be pulled. wont hurt a thing. plus adds a nice girly smell to everything :)
  6. joeps

joeps Active Member

I have used the alum tan as well and liked the stretch it had, but seemed to dry faster than the syn , but then again I was in a dry winter shop, maybe give the alum another shot.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
  7. jorgy

jorgy Member

I sponge them when I get them back. They will stretch a lot more if you wet them and sweat them overnight.
  8. dhart

dhart Active Member

I prefer the ALUM tan, syn tans just do not stretch for me.
  9. JEJ

JEJ Member

I have only used the syn tans, and like stated have trouble getting them back to my meat measurements. They just seem to come back to me so long necked, frustrating.
  10. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Active Member

all i use is wildlife synthetic dry tan... .never had a problem with it.... love the way they rehydrate and come together perfectly for me..
  11. JEJ

JEJ Member

Would/does the Downy leave a greasy/oily residue that would inhibit good adhesion between hide and form?
  12. You will taste downy for two or three days after mounting a cape with just a bit of Downy on it.
  13. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

So you just rinse and drain an Alum tan? No shampoo? Heard an alum tan will wash out.

I got one to do.
  14. The alum tan won't wash out
  15. Your problem is ACID. The wildlife gallery ships there skins out really acidic. Mix 5 gallons of water and about 3-4 oz of baking soda and soak and wash skin in it for 10-15 min. You will notice it start to foam(ACID).This will neutralize and relax the cape. Ive noticed a strong Formic smell from all WG capes. It works.
  16. They wont stretch because they have not been neutralized properly.
  17. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

That is correct. I too spray w/water &baking soda before bagging, then stretch and measure.
  18. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

another quick tip TRUBOND
  19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hounddoggy you don't have enough history to give "tips". SOME of us still use professional tanners. Truebond is a great tan if we elect to use it, but like ANY TAN knowledge and experience pay off in spades.
  20. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

That tip is useless to this thread; the tanning is already done. Painting some BS on an already tanned hide accomplishes nothing.