1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounted in Alaska Series

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by bowmantax, Jan 4, 2012.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    George, you know that you and I, along with Dennis and a couple of others lauded this show, and could not comprehend the BS that was dished out about it week after agonizing week. I think this was one of the really few times that those of us who normally butted heads really had something to unite behind, but I guess we just weren't enough to save the show. I'm glad you wrote what you did. Had I written those same sentiments first ... this would have had a different outcome. You used the very same phrases that I did when discussing this with Cheryl last night. It is disappointing ... but not unexpected. No one listened when warned that the "show people" were checking this site. It was all "Oh, I can say what I want" ... way to shoot yourselves in the foot people. Way to go!

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Sorry Charlie. Storage business owners, buyers and auctioneers LOATHE the show Storage Wars.....look online at what they have to say about the show representing their industry. But yet the show is renewed with a bunch if spinoffs.

Most of us enjoyed the show MIA.... buy sponsors were not getting returns..... IT IS that simple. To believe anything otherwise is.........

But everybody loved a scapegoat and this site is normally the one used for anything wrong in this industry.

3. I liked MIA. Sad to see it go. I don't know why "Swamp People" got dragged into this. It's not their fault if more people like it. It is just business. TV shows are spiced up for the viewing public. I work at a Pawn Shop (along with school and pt taxidermy) and it is nothing like "Pawn Stars." If a television crew were to film us, it would make for some pretty dry television most of the time. Yet, PS is the #1 show on cable. Still, sad to see MIA go. I've been wondering when it would air again.

4. *

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Funny you should mention Pawn Stars..............

Funny you should mention Pawn Stars because:

* It ain't nothing like the real deal.
    * Pawn shops across the US bitched about the show (staged events etc).
    * Reviews (on-line) about how rude the "stars" are when they went there.

But the show goes on.

Some people just don't get "IT".

:)

Kerby...

6. Yeah, Kerby, its made work hell in a way. Because now people bring in the most ridiculous stuff and are like "What can I get for this?" or "How much is this worth?" I'm like "It's a Scooby Doo night light?"

7. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    I liked it, Something different then all the other crap like Jersey Shore. Of course what it comes down to is it is entertainment and its mostly fake.

8. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Ha! I notice the same jabber-jaws shooting their mouths off now, just as they did before. And we don't get it!? Ignorance must be bliss!

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I can say while I never saw an episode (Im not much of a tv watcher, unless its classic scary movies or hockey games) I am proud of Mr Knight and his crew, and as well, thankful they were given the opportunity to showcase taxidermy for all of us. Sure beats some of the ridiculous books put out lately. But again, I take the positive and run with it, and the negative? Just deny it, of course, hahaha. A win win, you could say.

10. nickstax

nickstax New Member

hey bill rangers or islanders fan?

11. ALLAN

ALLAN Member

I have seen promos on dish network lately about a new show called American Stuffers. I think it will mostly be about Freeze Drying pets.I dont know how long this one will last.It just might be a one program deal.

12. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    Re: Re: Mounted in Alaska Series

Russells fb sounds like it is going to air this spring.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

14. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I really hate that the show was not continued. I really enjoyed the show, the people, and the way they represented the industry. Hard to imagine why any taxidermist would have criticized it.

15. EA

EA Well-Known Member

He's a Fanatical Penguins Fan.

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

John, try to be civil in your explanation of a question,

How can Pawn Shop owners and Storage Unit owners despise the way their industry is represented in Pawn Stars and Storage Wars.... they make no bones about it on their forums but yet both of those shows are renewed and both have spinoffs...... but yet you feel a few Taxidermists on their forum got a national show cancelled. Maybe I am ignorant and you can explain to me how that is possible..... especially considering the power of the pawn industry.

17. Paul C

Paul C New Member

X2 I would love to hear that rationale as well. We live in the age of "Any publicity is good publicity". From Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan to Donald Trump and just about any nitwit in between. IF there was that much bad publicity about the show the producers would have been giggling all the way to the bank because that means more people were watching. Why do you think they tried to create all the "drama" in Russel's shop? Do you (George and John) think its really like that in there on a daily basis? The drama was created to draw attention to the show thereby drawing viewers. Viewers means money! The show was cancelled because it was not getting enough "views" based on the Neilson surveys. We are a MICRO industry----Russel and crew did a GREAT job portraying our industry but facts are facts, taxidermy is nothing but a cottage-style micro industry that few people really care about. Its time to get over ourselves and face reality.

18. alfman

alfman New Member

Premiered here in Canada the other night, liked it. Curious as to why they would cancel a show, but continue to broadcast in other countries.

19. L Jay

L Jay New Member

There is some new show coming on Tonight (thursday) about Taxidermy. I forget the name of it, but I was working on fleshing a coyote when my husband was watching Dirty Jobs and swa commercial came on about it.........he had to yell at me about it :p We both loved Mounted in Alaska....

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Who'd have ever thought I'd make a convert????