1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First fox, first time using a form, looking for tips

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by zifdenpants, Jan 5, 2012.

1. zifdenpants

zifdenpants Member

I've got a pretty gray girl ready to be mounted. Read and re-read both the George Roof thread on mounting case skinned animals and the extensive thread on skin off/on mounts. These have been helpful and informative and I feel much more confident having filled up on knowledge.

Going in that vein, does anyone have any tips on facial clay construction, eye setting, measuring? Any pictures of a finished face before adding the hide would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. You should buy a couple DVDs, they will really help you out. Seeing it done should help.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

When I tube mount larger animals that need extensive eye and ear butt work I make a short dorsal cut fro just in front if the ear to the base of the skull. Hair is long enough to hide the seam and the opening provides ample room to work.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

do your clay work and freeze it...then you can slip skin on without messing it up

5. zifdenpants

zifdenpants Member

Thank you for the advice! These are all great techniques that I'd have never thought of.