1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Neck size

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by quackhead, Apr 15, 2007.

1. quackhead

quackhead New Member

I just mounted this buck for a friend. He shot it with me last fall and was his biggest to date. I mainly do taxidermy for a hobby, but am licensed and will do a little work for people once in a while. I really like the mount. Myfriend liked the mount but thought the neck should have been bigger. But this isn't the first time one of my customers has said this to me. I tell them what you give me is what I give you back. I send all my hides to the wildlife gallery, and they do a awesome job. I don't thin the hides down any more when I get them back because they are already thin. Is there anything else I can do to make the neck look a little bigger. It just bugs me because a few customers have told me this. I have included a pic of the mount and a pic of the deer just after he shot it. It was a nice buck by no means huge, it dressed a 198lbs and we killed it in New Hampshire. I mounted it on a Joe Meder semi-upright form with measurements of 7 3/8"-21"-19 1/4"-23". It was my 15th or 16th mount. Thanks for any advice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

If you are getting the right size manikin off the measurements from your wet or rehydrated tanned capes, it may just be how it was groomed. I try not to pull every thing back and would rather have room under that skin than have it pulled tight. When I groom the deer I keep in mind what effect gravity may have on how the fur or hair will lay on the animal. With a whitetail I like to take and pull a brush through the fur in a forward direction, through the neck area, and down through the shoulders. This seems to give it the fullness I'm looking for and helps the hair lay in the direction that I want after it springs back from the brush. This is done while it drying and slowly as to not pull too hard on the hair especially if you are concern of any questionable capes.

3. RStanton

RStanton New Member

Consider mounting waterfowl instead. This stuff is a fact of life and a waste of your time as long as your measurements prove people are in fact getting back the size specimen they gave you. Also, take a look at the offset semi-sneak pose-- the "neck" isn't bigger, naturally... but the perception of "mass" is subconsciously created. Good luck.

4. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

That's a nice looking mount. Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

5. Jerry C

Jerry C a good liberal is hard to find

I get that "bigger neck" a lot. Anyone who received your mount should be very happy. It's a fine job. I just remounted a ten point for an ENCON officer who had his cape switched by a taxidermist. It was a very small cape and the taxidermist had enlarged the antler openings to fit the bigger rack. (He must have been crazy to con ENCON)

6. C Ertle

C Ertle New Member

Nice looking mount!

Maybe try measuring in front of the customer/friend and write it down so they can see for themselves. Then you can show them that same peice of paper when they get their mount back. Just a thought...

7. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

I had a local competitor that got form measurements from the tanned cape rather than from the green cape and was constantly getting the small neck complaints but they were justified. I don't see that on your deer. Nice mount.

8. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I always measure over the hair,You may have to stretch it a little longer but it will sew and mount beautifully.By the way nice mount don't let it bother you.

9. When I hear them bragging on the neck size I usually get the tape measure out, Then they're like, well he is stil pretty big though...............Yeah if 18 is big..

10. R Qualls

R Qualls New Member

nice job

11. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The advice to take measurments with the customer is a very valid point in that comparing from photos is unreliable and the deer seem to grow in the minds of the hunters as time goes by. The picture you have, for instance, shows the buck's head turned toward the camera, but the neck is a side view, which makes it look even thicker. The photo of the mount, which is a really good job by the way, is from staright ahead and shows the width of the neck from the front, not the side. You did a really good job. He should be thankful!

MLP

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

First off, nice mount. Second, when field pics are taken of deer in that position, the neck is stacked, and will appear to be bigger than it really is. This is something I have had to explain many times. When a customer actually sees what you are talking about, they usually understand, but you can't please everyone. It you are taking accurate measurements, it is what it is. Also, the position chosen in the form will have something to do with it as well. You can mount two wts of the same neck size, one on a full snk and one on an upright. The upright will almost always appear to be bigger as the back of the neck is usually stacked somewhat in the back. I have taken a wt carcass and positioned it several ways, and you can really see how the muscles work as far as extending.

13. jstady2002

jstady2002 New Member

I have seen some big deer that have been mounted on bigger capes..its all in proportion. If they complain heres what I would tell them, would you rather me stretch the daylights out of it and have everything wrong, or put it the way it normally is and make it look good. Think about it, big neck, makes rack smaller, smaller/proportioned neck makes rack look bigger.

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If he thinks that neck looks small, he needs glasses.
    Any bigger and it would look silly.
    Show him the door.

15. :) :) :) :) Looks really good :) :) :) :)

16. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

That is a really nice mount, and he should be very pleased with it. I agree that the photo just makes the deer "look" bigger, and accordin to the pic of your mount, you are right on.