1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Having trouble selecting proper size mannikin

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by sixxfan26, Jan 5, 2012.

1. sixxfan26

sixxfan26 New Member

Going to mount a set of whitetail antlers.... this is only my 2nd mount, and it's been awhile since my last. Anyway, I bought a nice cape that measures 7 1/2 x 18 x 20. When I look in the catalog for a mannikin, I have a hard time finding anything with measurements in that order.... seems like several have measurements of 7 1/2 x 20 x 18 though. Please point me in the right direction before I go apeturds! LOL Thanks

2. Bill LaCoe

Bill LaCoe New Member

The 18" is your C measurement, 20" is your B measurement, your catologs show these, shouldn't be to hard for you to figure out.Good luck.

3. tt

tt Licensed Taxidermist,Hunter,Trapper,and Fur Bearer

I think, like bill said, you have your B and C measurement mixed up. I see the same neck size as yours in several different positions, McKenzie Catalog, but in a 6 3/4 E-N. I think you would need to get a change out head for that. I also see some 7 1/4 X 18 1/2 X 20 forms. If its shaved write you should be able to get the stretch or just shave the form down some. Re-measure the tanned hide and see which works best. You could make this work, not the hardest problem you will run into. Good luck.

4. sixxfan26

sixxfan26 New Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. I haven't actually measured the cape, just going by the measurements that were given to me from the seller.

5. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Measure the cape yourself.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

X2, measure the cape again and make sure.

7. always measure your cape i learned the hard way bought two capes that were suppose to be 20inch capes online and they were only 17 and i order my forms and guess what they didnt fit had to shave the fonms down and lost alot of detail wont do that again

8. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I suggest goin just a little smaller than YOUR measurments .....especially since its been a while since your last mount.....it will make the mounting process MUCH, MUCH more enjoyable. Good luck .

9. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Don't worry much about the eye to nose measurement.

10. GC424

GC424 New Member

X2 I am a biginner myself and i found that allot of my problems come from improper form size (To Big) once mounted everything is to tight which will create one problem after another. the seam will have to be forced closed which will pull the eyes and ears out of their proper position. Also i use to measure over the hide and after measuring the carcass i realize there is as much as a 2" difference between the measurements.

11. Guerra

Guerra New Member

X3