1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

air brushes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by wigeon whacker, Apr 15, 2007.

1. i need to get an air brush for waterfowl bills and feet whats a good airbrush for a resonable price im talking with a man who has a new one by paaschs for 30 dollars but no instructions any help would be great thanks.

2. deer4ager

deer4ager New Member

That sounds pretty good. If it works well and a double action.

3. Oakcreek

Oakcreek Member

What will double action do over single action?

4. Paul K

Paul K New Member

Google Dixie Art Supply, for the price of a double action Pasche you can buy a new double action Iwata revolution. It will work plenty good for what your looking for and then some. Way less finicky and way more durable. Ive been down that road.

5. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I used Paasche for years. I now use Iwatas. They are extremely smooth and easy to adjust. You must practice with any airbrush to achieve the results you want. Remember, it's not the arrows in the quiver, it's the Indian shooting them that counts.

6. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    Have either of you had any trouble with your iwata? I just got a new HP-C, and it seems like nothing I can do keeps it from spitting paint. I have adjusted the air press., cleaned the tip, and thinned my paint. (laquer). Any suggestions?? It's a nice brush other than that.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I have had both brushes, Iwata is the one I liked the best. The Quality is so much better, made in Japan, very smooth operating.
    Bullet, it may be your brand of paint. I find if I pause to do something and go back to paint, the tip is dried shut from buildup,I do not thin any of my paints, ( wild life colors) a blast of air and paint will open it back up real easy. I have never had it plug right up like the Paasch I had.

8. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    I use polytrspr. and life tone laquer. I've tried thinning and not thinning. ??? I don't really know what else it could be. I guess I'll keep messing with it.

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

buckeyebullet, are you using retarder with you paint? Remember thinner speeds up the drying and retarder slows it down. When you are using a low-volume airbrush like the Iwata normally you need to cut back on your air pressure, too.

10. Ho

Ho Member

Listen to Old Fart. If it's spitting, it's because the paint is drying on the tip before it leaves the gun and then comes off in "chunks". Retarder will stop that.