1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wrapping material

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tobo, Jan 6, 2012.

1. tobo

tobo New Member

Hello

Today I start doing my first magpie. everything went quite well. I wrapped cotton body. I find out that I cant put wires tough wrapeed body because it was so stick.

I know that I should wrapped from wood wool or carve body from foam but problem is I cant find anywhere wood wool or reight foam.

Can somebody please tell me wat is wood wool usualy used for exept taxidermy and where should I lok for. I try to find foam too and I youst canf find any good for carving. Where do you buy foam and what is it usualy used for?

I nead to know this so I can start searching in the reight place.

Thank you very much for answers

Best regards

2. fltrn

fltrn Member

Today I was at Michael's hobby store and seen blocks of foam 4x4x6 in a 6pack for 5$ hope this helps. They also have many different sizes and types.

3. most of the foam blocks
    I've seen at Michael's are not dense enough

4. zifdenpants

zifdenpants Member

The floral foam at craft stores is very light and porous but can be carved and then using your fingers, compressed into a tighter form. YOu can also saturate it with wood glue to make it more dense after it dries.

Wood wool can also be found at the craft store. I found quality excelsior at Hobby Lobby around 2.50 a bag in the dried/silk floral arrangement section.

5. jwilson48

jwilson48 New Member

wood wool is also called "excelsior" and can be found at craft stores. i however buy from mckenzie's website they are cheaper than hobby lobby around here.

6. tobo

tobo New Member

Helloo

They dont have excelsior in our craft stoe. What is usualy used for?

Best regards

7. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

look up trophy tracker on here...you won't have to look no more

tell them the god mother sent you you will be hooked up

fred

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

are you in the UK????...then you don't have the stores we have here...find a furniture repair shop...they might have some