1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

allergies

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mike H, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Mike H

Mike H Member

Is there anyone else allergic to Squirrels? Every time I skin one of these critters I can't stop sneezing, my eyes swell, and you won't believe the crap that flies from my noise. This is the only animal that I have this problem with. I think it could be pylon from trees that gets trapped in there hair.

2. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

Maybe it's a nut allergy? ;-]

3. RStanton

RStanton New Member

IDK, but I am allergic tom deer.

4. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

go to an allergist , your p[robably allergic to FUR

5. RStanton

RStanton New Member

I'm pretty sure deer have hair, and less certain but think squirrels do too. I never had any trouble working with foxes, coons, possums... in my case the symptoms are only slightly annoying at their worst, so it's not an issue.

6. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

I seem to be allergic to fur or animal dander in general, have had constant sinus troubles ever since getting into taxidermy. Claritin D has helped alot to clear my nose out and the upper sinuses from getting so clogged as to give me the sinus headaches. I am not going to quit being around animals, both alive and dead!

7. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Steph..would a dust mask help with the dander?

8. hidvalltax

hidvalltax Dont travel faster than your guardian angel can go

You could always take a histimine blocker, my son has alot of allergies including some of the sawdust we tumble with, fish, goats.deer, he takes a blocker and is fine

9. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

Hi,

Back in my younger days, I used to really be allergic to deer. That was about 20 years ago. Now they don't bother me at all. I would use a dust mask and that would really help me when I processed them. I really have no idea why they don't bother me know unless maybe the exposure to deer dander over the years had desensitized me to it.

My suggestions would be a dust mask and some allergy medicine before you know you will be working on bothersome animals.

Mark

10. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

Mark if you work on cats or rabbit fur , it will probably do the same thing , so go get tested by an allergist and go from their.

11. duckfeathers

duckfeathers New Member

Try "Astelin". Ask your doctor for a free sample. It is a spray. Spray it up your nose before doing a squirrel and see if it works. I get allergic sneeze fits at random and this spray even worked after the fit started. Best stuff I ever used .

12. EastonWest

EastonWest What we do in North Dakota, STAYS here.

I am pretty much allergic to anything with hair, some things with feathers, some worst than others. I always wear a dust mask while skinning animals and it really cuts down on the sneezing.

13. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

wow i feel for you guys, i guess i didnt realize how lucky i am . so far in my time in this business i havent expeirienced anything that gives me the problems your suffering from, and i read all of the posts, hope you get to feeling better, i did wear a dust mask when helping my dad in his chicken houses years ago, but did it for precautionary measures only, never had a problem with it, Russ

14. alton joe

alton joe New Member

15. alton joe

alton joe New Member

does any one get itching around eye lids from using apoxie sculp