1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Moths Attacking Mounts

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jen78, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jen78

Jen78 New Member

I am in need of sme serious help/advice. On Wednesday I saw that the hair on my husband's bobcat was coming off of its foot. Upon further inspection, the cat was covered with yellow and brown balls. We figured it was eithr moths or carpet bettles. We threw the cat away (sigh) and bug bombed the house/living room where all our trophies are three times. After the first bombing my husband said he could see little bigs hanging on silk coming from the cat...so I asssume we have moths. Well, most of trophies are ducks/geese and now I am seeing litte yellow balls on the inside of their wings. So now I have two of our small ducks in the freezer and I have permethrin and gentrol on the way. Question I have is, will all these chemicals and or freezer treatment ruin our mounts and are those stupid yellow balls eggs? I do not want to loose our trophies, they all have stories behind them and they symbolize what we love to do.

2. MikeC

MikeC Proud Conservative

I have had moths get my turkey fans and deer mounts. I now spray them down with a bug spray every few months and that has seems to keep them at bay.

3. Jen78

Jen78 New Member

That is good to hear Mike. What did you use to kill them and as a preventative (just in case they are in my other mounts)?

4. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

Borax and or Alum do not work as insect deterents. Always amazed at the money spent by Trophy hunters to obtain their mounts and then leave them out uncased. Bit like ringing the dinner bell.

If you wish to preserve them, case them up in glass cases. Given that you have an infestation spraying them may change the colour and or skin tone. I would suggest if they are small enough to place them in a freezer for 2 weeks. This will kill the adult lava stage but not the eggs,. You then need to thaw them out, the rise in temp will hatch the eggs you cannot get to. Then re-freeze and that will cure the infestation but not the problem and or issue of re-infection.

There is a moth proofer in the US made in Mexico which contains 99% Paradechorobenzene. This works as a vapour (stinks) but is effective, You could bag up the specimens and gass them. Again uncertain whether high concentrations turn white feathers yellow but give it ago.

One thing is certain, do nothing and NOTHING willl be left other then leg wires and glass eyes. Oh perhaps the preformed bodies.

http://www.taxidermy4cash.com/taxidermyhousekeeping.html

Some useful information I forgot I had. Enjoy

The thumbnail below shows what happens the little critters are left alone to dine alone

Good luck

Attached Files:

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

An interesting read,

Thank you.

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I have had good results by enclosing mounts in a sealed plastic bag with a newly opened No-Pest Strip. There is no need to freeze them, in fact it's bettter if you don't.
    No-Pest Strips are made to keep insects out of an entire room, and when you enclose them in a small space like a garbage bag they WILL kill carpet beetles, moths, etc.
    The thing is, leave the mounts enclosed in the bags for at least a month. That will give the fumes (which are very faint and won't stain anything) time to penetrate, and it will also allow any eggs that might be present to hatch. I have never had to repeat this process on a mount, but t would still be a good idea to be vigilant in case of a new infestattion.

7. Jen78

Jen78 New Member

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will go and purchase the no-pest strips and start bagging my birds.