1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pics of my first squirrel "rug"

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ginevive, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I just finished this up yesterday. It's a gray squirrel that was harvested this year. I formed the head/neck out of clay, and used walmart beads for eyes (they are just the size of the blown-glass eyes I'd bought for my LS mount.. they worked pretty good, lol.)

Your thoughts on the head shape? I used cardboard inserts for the ears, and I am not really 100% happy about the set of them; any recommendations? The clay is still moist, so I can still tweak it some. I didn't do anything special with the mouth since it won't show (I plan on eventually attaching a bottom from felt or something.) Tan is Rittel's cream tan; I let it tan overnight.

I did lose a few inches of tail :( They are skinned in my freezer; might try attaching them, might not. Only my 4th squirrel skinned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I like to use Apoxie-Sculpt for ear liners as it gives you lots of control in shaping and holds the shape well.Back brushing it will make it nice and fluffy. I use a tooth brush sized wire brush for this, however, a tooth brush would work as well. A head off an Ellzey squirrel form would also work, but would cost more. Just some thoughts.

3. Thanks. I do have one of those brushes; I will use it. I know that he has a cheeky expression, but I kind of like it for some reason.

4. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

Haha! Love it!

5. tyler-woody

tyler-woody New Member

I did 1 about a year ago for my little brother and i cast and moulded the head with bondo worked pretty good

6. SD Cowgirl

SD Cowgirl New Member

Lol That would look like a huge bear rug in a doll house! :)

7. bowhunr

bowhunr New Member

Never would have thought to do that with a squirrel...but cool. Are you going to put a felt border on it also to finish it up?

8. gavinm95

gavinm95 70 Pound Black Eastern Coyote

MAN!!! I THOUGHT I CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA!!!!! (sigh)....

9. Thanks!! I am very encouraged by your comments. I think that I will be attaching it to felt or some other material though, just because it'll look at bit more "finished." And wow, it would look great in a dollhouse!

10. SD Cowgirl

SD Cowgirl New Member

You could get some mice made up and go to doll house shows selling rugs and head mounts. lol :)

11. Hehe; I wonder if I could somehow finangle a rat head (with small antlers) into looking like a little dollhouse deer head. ::thinking now:: :)

12. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

I have a customer that wants me to do an open mouth squirrel rug. He also wants it to have a real mean fangy look. should be fun I guess.