1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

House cat?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by RBlack, Jan 10, 2012.

1. RBlack

RBlack Member

I've got a request from one of my taxidermist about a gal that called him regarding her house cat. For how I understand it she's planning on putting the cat down and would like to have the bones cleaned. (Please don't ask me why, I'm at a loss for words, LOL)

My question to you guys is what would you charge to clean, degrease and whiten? Keep in mind I use beetles.

I know some taxi's have a no pet policy but us bone guys will clean just about anythiing.

Let me know and thanks ahead of time for any help!

2. michael69

michael69 Active Member

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Cleaned by bugs will be one thing. But, if she wants them pretty and smell free .. that will take at least degreasing and the charge should be a lot more. The leg bones especially will take longer.

4. Makes an interesting difference from the usual ''Stuff my pet'' lol, that's all I can really say. Never really heard of someone wanting their pets skeleton..

5. money is money, large leg bones need drilled and the degreasing will take a while. $75 would be a good number for that job. Probably someone has access to a dead cat and want to articulate the skeleton.

6. I would try to find out what the lady really wants. Maybe she just wants the bones cleaned so she can bury them in a flower pot under a catnip plant. Or maybe she wants them cleaned, degreased, whitened, and fully articulated.

7. michael69

michael69 Active Member

oops i read that wrong...i thought just the skull.

8. RBlack

RBlack Member

Yes she plans to articulate the bones herself. Toxic, you drill prior to degreasing, correct? I would assume that you would go as deep as you can?

9. yes, drill to gain access to the larger bone interior so the grease and marrow can be removed

10. If she will be articulating the skeleton herself she may have some thoughts on where and how she wants the long bones drilled.

11. Damon

Damon Member

if an animal is young i drill small holes under the epiphysis so they are hidden but if the animal was old its all pre-planing where to drill.

12. RBlack

RBlack Member

Again, thx for the info guys, this should be fun to say the least