1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Many

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bowhunter18, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Bowhunter18

Bowhunter18 New Member

How many average sized deer heads (14 to 20 inch spreads) will fit in a 25 CU Foot Chest Freezer?
    I know this has lots of varies but what is the average number that will fit

2. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

not sure bud, i usual have the antlers off before the cape goes in

3. Why do you ask?

4. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

All my freezers are mixed with birds mammals and fish. But I bet I could fit around 40-50 skinned out deer heads in one. Now if your talking about putting head horns and cape in whole, that would be different.

5. nitt

nitt Member

The size of the freezer may affect the outcome but i always have um caped out n my freezers r mixd wit other stuff to but in my huge freezer easy 60 to 80

6. yes cape them 1st had 1 kansas buck that we put in freezer 1st to freeze the tics and it took alot of room

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

That would depend on how big the deer are, but I never put the whole head in a freezer unless I absolutely have to. They all get cape and prepped for the tannery as they come in.

8. bowhunr

bowhunr New Member

The fact that you are giving a range of antler spreads tells me that you likely intend on putting unskinned heads in there. Why? Best to cape them out as they come in whenever possible. This will free up more freezer space and also help prevent the eyelids, ears and nose from possibly drying out and freezer burning if they are in there for a while. Also, I keep my birds and fish in a separate freezer than capes and lifesize hides to minimize the chance of damage when rooting through the freezers to get something to work on. A walk in would sure be nice...

9. Bowhunter18

Bowhunter18 New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    The reason I ask is I have a full time job plus I hunt allot.
    I want to put them in the freezer and take them out one at a time to cape at night so I don't have to be up all night.
    The other night I had 4 brought in at one time.

10. Do the incision and take the rack off after you tag them ???

11. I had to do that one time this year and had 4 in the freezer at one time but I also had birds, fish and mammals in there as well. It is just best to stay up and cape them out as you get them. I have made sure and do that since then.

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You need to just get after it when they bring them in...seriously! I'm not a "speed skinner", but I completely skin out, saw off antlers, and have in the freezer 3 per hour. I've got a good friend that can do 1 every 12 minutes. He skins around the mouth and up the bridge of the nose, takes a saw'all and cut the entire front of the skull off. After loosening around the antler burrs and skinning around the eyes, pull the entire front of the face over the sawed off skull, skin down the neck, and your skin is off the skull. This allows for a very short Y incision.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

AMEN!. You know this is one of my sticking issues with part time taxidermists who like to hunt. The possibility of you taking your own trophy is of absolutely no concern to a paying customer who's entrusted you with HIS own personal trophy. If you intend to do this for any length of time, you need to revisit your decision to take in commercial work. I promise you that your reputation is going to take a beating. It won't take long for you to become known as the guy who'll get to your work when he feels like it.

Aside from that aspect, your capes are going to suffer as well. Once an animal dies, it begins to decay and dry. The freezer may delay the decay, but an unskinned head will begin to dry up the ear edges, eyelids and nares of the nose. Even if it's only a day or two, these things take place making your job even more difficult and endangering the quality of your mount. When I get a head in, REGARDLESS OF WHAT I HAD PLANNED, it gets caped out, rolled, put in a plastic bag and then put in a grocery bag and marked. The antlers get cut off and cleaned and tagged. THEN if I have time, I do what I had planned. If not, then so be it. It's part of the committment professionals dedicate to their business.

BTW. I can get 150 whitetail capes into a 25 foot cubic freezer.

14. Bowhunter18

Bowhunter18 New Member

THANKS!!! for the advice .......I will cape as fast and soon as I can..........But with this all being said I know a lot of hunters will put their deer in a freezer and wait to to see if they kill a bigger one before bringing it to a taxidermy. So I see where I need to cape as soon as I get them..............Thanks again.

15. Bowhunter18

Bowhunter18 New Member

You need to just get after it when they bring them in...seriously! I'm not a "speed skinner", but I completely skin out, saw off antlers, and have in the freezer 3 per hour. I've got a good friend that can do 1 every 12 minutes. He skins around the mouth and up the bridge of the nose, takes a saw'all and cut the entire front of the skull off. After loosening around the antler burrs and skinning around the eyes, pull the entire front of the face over the sawed off skull, skin down the neck, and your skin is off the skull. This allows for a very short incision.

Joetm,
    Thanks much for that advice. I have been having a hard time capping some of these deer because people leave the necks to long and the hide will have meat and blood all on it. Its hard to skin on down the neck when they come in like that.

16. GC424

GC424 New Member

skin around neck until you get closer to head and cut neck meat off before you continue to skin or maybe do a long incision all the way down the cape. That may be the way to go until you get faster.. you will spend more time sewing so you are gonna spend the time one way or another.

17. always cape out antlered game for freezer space....... 4 deer with antlers or 40 deer capes one freezer
    you are not a storage facility are you, you are a taxidermy shop

18. bassnbuck

bassnbuck better late than never

also consider the aspect of thaw time with the deer that you put in im in your situation with a full time job but i still usually just skin into the night and i suffer not the mount...ive found that a big necked deer will take forever to thaw seems like...especially if its cold in your work area...just easier to skin them fresh