1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wanted: Frozen Lemmings

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Shadow_Wolf, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Shadow_Wolf

Shadow_Wolf Make it look alive and real

Anyone know where I can get some dead, frozen lemmings? I'm taking an ornithology class at school and the professor would like to get a Snowy Owl taxidermied in a flying pose with a lemming in its talons. I live in the UP of Michigan and there's no lemmings here, but the owls have been coming down in search of food and have been starving to death (which is what happened to this one that was brought in to class).

2. A common meadow vole would make a fair stand-in for a lemming. Snowy owls eat them too. If you want one of the slightly larger brown or collard lemmings you'll need to talk with someone in northern Alaska.

3. Shadow_Wolf

Where would be a good place to look for a meadow vole?

4. In any grassy field. Look for surface runways with little piles of cut grass and mouse droppings. Set mouse traps baited with peanut butter and oatmeal across the runways.

5. Shadow_Wolf

I will see if I can find a place to do that. I currently live in a city and it's winter, so I would probably have to get permission to do that on school property.

6. Look for a place with tall grass. If there is snow, and it's not too deep, you may be able to dig down under the snow and still find the surface runways under the bent-over grass. The voles will be active all winter, even under the snow. I used to catch hundreds of them when I was studying mammalogy. Good luck!