1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Handed Spider Monkey Carcass SOLD

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Daniel M., Jan 12, 2012.

1. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Here's a nice female black handed spider monkey that I have. It died of natural causes and is in great shape. It's just missing the very last digits with the toenails.

I'm asking $150 or best offer. Thanks Daniel 440 799 7004

*** This has been SOLD, thanks for all the interest!***

Attached Files:

2. ALF

ALF Member

Re: Black Handed Spider Monkey Carcass

Wow, that would make a great skeleton mount. Whish my colony was up to speed.

3. RTtaxidermy

RTtaxidermy My Daughters Elk

That is cool but creepy

4. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

The black handed spider monkey aka Goffroy's spider monkey (Ateles geoffroyi) is listed as endangered by the IUCN. Pretty sure you'd be looking at trouble if you sold this... just a heads up.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

5. Re: Black Handed Spider Monkey Carcass

Wow!

6. Re: Black Handed Spider Monkey Carcass

I think you may be wrong Alicia. The IUCN is an international organization with no regulatory or enforcement powers. It serves in a purely advisory capacity. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service lists only two of the 5-9 subspecies of black-handed spider monkey as endangered. The other subspecies are not listed. (Similarly, 3 subspecies of brown bear, 8 subspecies of red deer, 1 subspecies of chinchilla, and 2 subspecies of ostrich are listed as endangered.) Just because a couple of rare subspecies are protected, it doesn't mean the entire species is.

So, is Daniel's spider monkey one of the endangered subspecies? Probably not. Does he have to prove it's not one of the protected subspecies before selling it? I don't think so, any more than someone selling ostrich meat needs to prove it didn't come from one of the protected subspecies of ostrich. I would recommend that Daniel provide some information regarding the origin of the monkey to whoever he sells it to.

7. Re: Black Handed Spider Monkey Carcass

I can be certain that Mr Daniel has done his research on this animal. He's no slouch when it comes to handling and working with endangered animals.

8. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

Man...that is gonna give me nightmares! It just looks so...human.

9. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

Thanks Alpinist,

I'm familiar with the difference between IUCN and USFWS. My mistake, I didn't realize only a few subspecies were federally listed. I tend to be a little overly cautious when it comes to this stuff, so sorry if I spoke too soon. It is an awesome specimen, and a great price!

10. Fishpaw

Fishpaw New Member

If the buyer backs out or other specimens become available (legal only of course), let me know....Im very interested....Mike