1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

staining antlers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Flatheadking06, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Flatheadking06

Flatheadking06 New Member

Hey guys, quick question. I have a skull that was pretty bleached out and needed to stain the antlers to get thwm back to a natural look. Trying short hands around the house here, I used Minwax wood stain to color the antlers. Now what is the best way to go back and do some detail work? IE: how to get the burrs and bumps along the antler bases back to that ivory white color. I tried using emory cloth to cut the stain away, but this did not work. Would mineral spirits cut it enough to lightly touch them up? Any ideas?

2. I would apply the stain heavily then wipe it off with a dry rag this will get the high points lighter than the low points. Whatever stain you used should cut the first coat by applying it again. Hope that makes sense

3. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

You can also use 0000 steel wool. Lightly hit the high spots and it will lighten them up.

4. you can use mohoney stain at thee base of the horns , work up untill they start getting lighter switch to light oak and start 1/2 over the darker stain this will givw you the even trasnition fron the base to the tip, the light oak is real good becuase it leaves the {natural { color in the horns , wipe on wipe off mark c

5. Flatheadking06

Ok so my original post maybe wasn't very clear. I already stained the antlers and rubbed off what I could while staining... I thought I had my highlights how I wanted them, but it looks like the antlers were so dry it just soaked up the stain. This morning I have tried mineral spirits, peroxide 40volume, steel brushes, etc to hopefully cut some of the stain, but nothing is really cutting it. The mineral spirits helped lighten some of the tine points, but Im still unable to get the bumps and burrs white or lighter again. I'd really prefer to stay away from painting if at all possible. I will post some pics for reference.

6. Flatheadking06

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So these are the reference pictures. What I'm trying to accomplish is getting the burrs and the bumps along the beam to be that natural white color as if the deer had rubbed all season getting them polished up. I know my base color needs to be darker and a little more brown around the bases but I didn't want to go any further after finding I couldn't cut the stain. If it comes to it I will speak with the owner of the rack to see if the color now and then adding a brown stain wash over it will do, seeing how I can't cut it. However I would like to get the rack as close to natural looking as possible, but if not that is ok.

7. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    Re: Re: staining antlers

Looks like those dark spots became porous and the stain soaked deep into those spots. Your going to have to paint to get the look you want. There are other ways but paint will be the easiest.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine