1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ethics question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by trbruning, Jan 15, 2012.

1. hey all i know this happens more than most care to admit but i was wondering what everyones stance is on replacing capes and hides without the customers knowledge?

2. I guess it would depend on the individual customer, and how well you know whats important to them? For example a kids or wife's first deer, they may want the original skin? I would think in most cases you should be able to call them and let them know you have to change to a different cape? You just have to know your customers , and whats important to them. Me , I always make sure that what ever I do is in the customers best intrest, in other words if there is a change its for his benefit, not mine. So my answer to your question is try and avoid anything that's gonna complicate your situation, this is a word of mouth advertising business, and one bad voice can haunt you.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You are taking a chance that the customer will not notice, and 80% of them will not notice, unless the cape had a outstanding characteristic to it that the customer may have a photo of. It is a gamble to swap out a cape and not get caught. I knew a hack that was lazy at his craft, and used a lot of doe capes to replace buck capes that rotted on him. I was one of his victim's.

4. brohnson

brohnson New Member

I would be pissed off if they changed my cape without telling me first, just my opinion.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't make a habit of LOSING my customers hide or ruining it. d If the customer brings me a crap hide, I inform him THEN that the hide needs to be replaced. HOWEVER, I've had cases where I replaced a hide without telling them. (One was from a father of a son who'd been killed in a car wreck. The son had killed the deer, skinned it out and put it in a basket. He'd died an hour later and dad didn't find the hide for a week and just froze it. When I got the hide, it was frozen but upon thawing I found a rotted pile of maggots inside the folds. The father got his son's antlers on a cape he never knew about. And I'd do it again tomorrow.) From my experience, 99.9% of the people bringing deer in don't recognize their hide a year later UNLESS it has some distinguishable characteristic. How many of you have been accused of swapping the hide WHEN YOU DIDN'T simply because the Nimrod claimed his deer was "bigger" than that?

6. thank you all for your input, my situation was that a guy brought me in a coyote that was a complete and total loss, shot 4 times with a 30-06 he apparently thinks im a magician but theres just nothing i can do with it there is so much missing fur but he says he wants me to "fix it" even if it doesnt turn out that great but as mentioned above this is a word of mouth buisness and i refuse to let go of a mount that doesnt meet my standards even if the customer doesnt care

7. slee

slee New Member

Why would you take the cape in the first place? As soon as you saw the mess it was in you should have told him it was a write off.....

8. Mason

Mason Active Member

To me,

It is not a matter if We can get away with it without the customer knowing or not.
    We just wouldn't do it without the customer knowing. We have had a few that needed replaced and the customer was notified.
    In your case, if you knew up front it was that bad. I would have inspected the hide first , before commiting to the job, or if frozen. I would have made it clear that if it was too bad after inspected, once thawed out. I would not take the job.
    Hope it works out for Ya.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Find another coyote close to the same color, patch it up. I would sew it first, a lot of times with big holes, the skin is still there and only looks missing.

10. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

You would be supprised how much hide could still be there to put back together. I had a really good customer bring in a yote that he shot with a 12 gauge slug. It was running right at him. The bullet hit just after the nose and ran all along the side of the face to the just before the bottom of the ear then out the back of the head. Most of the skin was there, but tore up real bad. I would have turned the work down had it not been one of my very good customers. He had said to do the best I could with it and he would be fine. But my name was still going to be on the final mount. I did put it back together and the damage was hidden so well you had to really look to find it. I still did some habitat work around the back side to make it harder for someone to "look" for it. Never once did I concider swapping the hide. Right up front when its first brought in, Its either NO I wont take this or yes, but it needs a new cape.

11. Mason

Mason Active Member

Oh, And these Fellas are %100 correct!
    With a Yote, or somthing with hair like they have. They really have to be tore up to see them. As long as it is mostly all there. They go back together quite nice. We have done a couple that way.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

I don't replace any capes without the clients knowing, it just the right thing to do IMO. As far as damage is concerned, that is something that is discussed as soon as I have seen the condition and what I can do.

13. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

x2

14. it was frozen when i recieved it and the damage was hidden, he mentioned it had slight damage and i did try to notify him but didnt recieve any word back for over a month when he admitted that it shot it 4 times. most of the damage is superfcial as in the fur was gone more than it was tore up. i told him it wasnt worth it because id have to charge him alot extra to even attempt to fix it and he agreed but after i got it mostly put back together it just didnt work out.

15. Mason

Mason Active Member

At least Ya gave it a shot and you did what Ya felt was right. That's cool
    I think replacing capes and skins without the customers knowledge is deceptive. I M O
    We have wrote up right in our disclaimer that EVERY customer signs. That NO hide is guaranteed and if there is any problems upon inspection. They will be notified. That way, if it is frozen when brought in. We aren't obligated .

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I see none of you work for the game farms where swapping out a hog hide or those "exotic" skeet goats is routine. Everyone wants to talk "ethics" but don't know what ethics is. Ethics is a set of guidelines YOU set for YOURSELF and what you do to effect them when no one else is looking. Projecting YOUR ethics on others is simply silly.

17. Mason

Mason Active Member

I agree George, thats why I made sure and add the I M O.
    What I shared were OUR guidelines.
    I do respect others ideas and ways of taking care of these situations. To each there own.

18. 1 out of every 20 customers cape/hide has something bad/wrong with it.Fix what you can,and if its too bad let them know.On my customer contract it covers me,never know when your going to hve a new customer that thinks discount now,and you have to get him a cape.

19. Outback 33

Outback 33 U.S.A.

How many of you have been accused of swapping the hide WHEN YOU DIDN'T simply because the Nimrod claimed his deer was "bigger" than that?
    Love the NIMROD George! Never heard that before and I WILL be using it again! ;D

20. Matt

Matt Active Member

Well I have never been accused of swapping capes, but I have had guys come in and say, man I thought my deer was bigger than that. I tell them if they wanted a bigger deer, they should've shot one.