1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Bobcat Mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by AR1527, Jan 15, 2012.

1. AR1527

AR1527 New Member

Just finished my first bobcat and did the base work myself too. I know it needs some work around the lips but please point out anything else you see that needs improved. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I think you got a lot to work on,, other than the lip. Just throw a dart,,,, and start there.

Attached Files:

3. Try using apoxie sculpt and give some texture to the nose. Use a brown color to go over your nose. You want the base color to show but not be so bright and flat. Comb the hair over the ears. Mr. T has helped you tremendously by providing you with a reference picture.

4. It would help greatly to work the skin forward in the entire head area while mounting. It seems that the skin is stretched back quite a bit. Try rehydrating the neck, head & face skin and bring it forward. This will allow you to make adjustments to the eyes as well.

5. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

LOL, T. you crack me up...DC

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

just a few off the bat...eyes are way to bugged out...no lid definition....ears to far back and not even across....

7. Good thing is you got your first one under your belt now. Get yourself some good reference pics and have them there to look at while mounting. We all "think" for the most part that we know what an animal looks like but to have the ref in front of you then you will know what it looks like. It does look like the skin is pulled back towards it hind end. I think if you would take a blow dryer and "fluff " it up it would look a lot better too. Really study the eyes, ears on ref pics. Having those right will make or break a cat mount or any mount for that matter. Didn't someone say one time that the eyes were the window to the soul. That is so true in taxidermy. Good luck with your next mounts and strive to continually improve.

8. AR1527

AR1527 New Member

Thanks luv2bowhunt! The kind ones make you want to improve a heck of a lot more than the mean ones!

9. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    Don't sweat it, just chalk it up to practice and keep at it. Wrap the head area in a damp towel and cover with a garbage bag overnight or until it's rehydrated, then make your adjustments. When you get done with that, give him a good bath and back brush/dry him with the compressor or a cool blow dryer. The first is never perfect, but you'll learn more from correcting the problems than you will from starting over.

10. Keep your head up and keep going. You should look at my first bobcat I ever mounted! I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever when I got it done and now looking back its absolutely dreadful! No one is perfect on the first one.....it's the people that keep at it that become great taxidermists!

Having said that, if you put your hand on your forehead and push up and back, you will get big wide buggy eyes. That is exactly what this cat is suffering from. Pull the skin forward to give it a more relaxed look. Also, you need to pay more attention to detail around the eyes. The ears are not even either. The pupils of the eyes are pointing in different directions and the paint on the nose is to thick...looks like paint rather than natural. Also, I think the lips need tucked a little deeper in the front.

Take everyone's comments serious and try to improve. The ones that can take the verbal punishment and keep on trucking will continue to get better. It's how the "pros" will break you in!!

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There were no mean ones, why so sensitive?

12. I agree with Mr. T. there were no means ones and critiquing can be rough but everyone is trying to help. inthe case of the bobcat I think there is a ton of work to be done and for his first one that is fine and all but reference pictures like that really make things obvious as to what went wrong.

Live and learn.

13. Looks great for first mount. Keep it up.

14. Lots of Good advice Given---Listen and learn you will become a Great Taxidermist your well on your way-Thanks for sharing your first Bobcat mount-----