1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I need help with the tanning process

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kam, Jan 17, 2012.

1. kam

kam Member

Idaho
    I have skinned a deer, fleshed it & turned everything. then I salted it. It has been in my shop for weeks in a plastic bag. It is still wet. Can I start the lutan f process even though the skin has never really dried?

2. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    Re: Re: I need help with the tanning process

You bagged it before it was dry? Start a pickle and see what happens. My guess is that cape is going to slip if it hasn't already.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 Member

Did you put it in the bag before it was salt dried

4. skin, split, flesh, salt & let drain for 24 hrs. , salt agian if salt is absorbed, hang to dry for about a day, pickle (ph of 1-2) for min. of 72 hrs. ( can be longer as long as ph is maintained), tan ( w lutan f ph of 3.5 -4 basify slowly by raising ph to 5), after ph is at fixing ph (5) let sit 30 mins longer ....that's a basic tanning process...I'm sure someone will let you kow if I forgot anything :)

5. jorgy

jorgy Member

If it's still wet after weeks in a plastic bag I think you will be able to just transfer that bag to the garbage.

Mix up a soak of 1/4 pound of salt per gallon of water for at least 5 gallons and put a bacteriacide in. Soak the skin for about 8-10 hours and then check and see if the hair is falling out. If not mix whatever pickle you are going to use and put it in

6. kam

kam Member

Idaho
    Thank you for all of your help. I will do that and see what happens. I also had salted 2 elk capes and 5 hides and put them in a big plastic storage bin, same thing, they were never dried but salted twice and set on a rack inside the bin so they could dry, but they never did.

7. why are you putting them in a plastic storage bin, just cerious. After you salt them just hang up and let them dry.
    Just try the lutan F and see what happends. I hope there not customer hides.
    Jim

8. jorgy

jorgy Member

Plastic and hides dont go well together until they are tanned and ready to freeze

9. kam

kam Member

Idaho
    Essentially, I didn't know i was supposed to hang them up to dry. I was told to shake out the salt and then freeze them.

10. kam

kam Member

Idaho
    Should I first shake off the salt and then hang them?

11. Dont put anymore wet/moist hides in plastic bags unless you put them straight in the freezer,i would not doubt you will see alot of hair in your pickle not on the skin.You might want to apply some stop rot and alot of hope.
    Good luck

12. Look don't put something in the freezer after it has been salted (salt is an antifreeze) after you salt it let it dry completely this is called salt suspension and the hide will keep this way for a long time if not indefinitely. when you are ready to tan first re hydrate with 1 pound salt per 5 gal of water for 12 to 24 hours then put it in the pickle. If I were you i would salt and split everything you want to tan then tan one at a time till you are sure that you have the process down. That way you don't ruin everything you have. I don't hold to much faith in any of the skins that you put in plastic before they were dry. Before you waste a bunch of lutan i would let them all dry in the air then re hydrate one at a time and tan. good luck.