1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any length to get business

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ANDY, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I stopped by a friend i do fleshing for today to look at his new shop. After looking around i noticed he had a couple best of show ribbon's, first place ribbon's,
    several honorable mention hanging by his mount's in his showroom. I have known this guy several year's and know for a fact he has never been in any of
    the competition's. A customer came in and as he took care of him i started talking to his 12 year old son and asked him about the ribbon's and he told
    me they got them out of the trash at a horse show. You can tell by the work they are not anything special. I guess people will do anything to make there
    work look good and get business.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Now that is a great.........

Now that is a great way to set standards for your 12 year old kid.

Just saying...............

Kerby...

3. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I agree Kirby.

LOL, Nice lesson's to be teaching his children.. Honesty has no place in business anyway ;)

4. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

If he's crossing that line, he's crossing others too. If he's really your friend, you might say something.

5. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Ask him first and see what he tells you. Then let him know his kid has a different idea!

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I agree with asking him to see what he says but leave the kid out of it. He has to live there!

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

Some clients will be impressed with all the ribbons, but in the end, he will have to produce the work that "goes" with them. If he is a friend, maybe you can talk to him. I agree on leaving his son out of it though. Setting standards like those will only set himself up for failure later.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I wouldn't utter a word about it. You are in his shop questioning his actions....good way to get invited to leave, and lose him as a fleshing customer as well.

9. Mason

Mason Active Member

What Joey said!

10. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Our friendship is more of a business one not personal.

11. Mason

Mason Active Member

I have learned to just shrug my shoulders, giggle to myself, and move on. With most things I whitness anymore.
    It works pretty good. Just keep what you see in the back of your mind for future reference, on WHAT NOT TO DO!
    Saves a lot of %^$#@ down the road ;)

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wide wonderful world of professional taxidermy. Most of us want an industry free of regulations and this is just a sad, sorry by-product of enjoying those freedoms.

13. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Not surprised at all. Matt hit the nail right on the head about having to produce work to back it up. You can buy ribbons and make up stories, but there is no substitute for good old fashioned skill when the customer puts their hands on their mount.

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ask to see his horse.

15. You display honorable mention ribbons? ???

16. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

You GET them ??? ;)

17. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

Is it just a blank ribbon, no wording?
    I would like to win a "Best Groomed" or "Best Stud" lol

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I wouldn't, LOL,, that is like " thanks for coming to the show".