1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shed hunting

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by whitetail8, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Anyone find and good sheds while turkey hunting? Found this one last week. 7" around the base of burr.[​IMG]

2. Here is another photo.[​IMG]

3. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Very nice shed. I was out a few weeks ago (maybe it was too early) and didn't find one. I was actually shed hunting though.

My dad found two sheds while turkey hunting. One was a spike, he would have never noticed it if he didn't choose that particular spot to make a blind. The other, a small 3 point, he found last year while walking through a field.

4. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    Last weakend I took some time with my little monster to get away from the shop and do some turkey scouting on my lease for our upcoming season and pick up some habitat. We ended up having a pretty good day of shed hunting one of the best I have had in a while neadless to say my little boy was hooked. Whitetail 8 that is an awsome shed I bet you are pumped for deer season.

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

I was out 2 weeks ago huntin sheds and found a little 3 point ;D. No monster but neet when you find em.

Mason

6. AndyB

AndyB New Member

I found my first one woodchuck trapping a few weeks ago it was only the on right beam had three points, i looked for the other one but could not find it.

7. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Monster great sheds, wow I only wish I could find that many in one outing here in PA

8. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Whitetail8, I'll hunt that spot for you this year if ya want. Nice shed, that gets ya thinking of your stratagies early huh! What state are you in?

9. nelsondeerfarm

nelsondeerfarm me and THE BUCKMAN !!!

I started going out, with the intention of finding sheds, last year. I found 2, 1 spike and one 4 point about like yours whitetail8, but it had a busted tine, I went out a few times this year and found a left side and right sided forkhorn, about 150 yards apart but they are not a matched set. One thing is for sure, they wern't easy to find!

10. Nice sheds Monster! and Jerry, I hunt in Southern Illinois, Hamilton County. We kill some nice bucks down there and last week I saw some of the biggest tracks in my life, It looked like it was left by a moose! Needless to say we followed the tracks for a while in the mud and moved a stand to a great ambush point for this up coming season. The hoofs without measureing the dew claws were over 5 inches long. I can't wait.

11. oaktree

oaktree Member

Ya I've picked up a few this year.[​IMG]

12. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    thats defiantly agood year oaktree

13. bear crazy

bear crazy New Member

Where do you find all the sheds mostly? I look in picked corn fields,alfalfa,beans ,whatever ,and bedding areas and all I seem to find are chewed up ones. I've found some nice ones and some matched sets but nothing like the amount you guys are finding!!! Man those are some great drops to find, almost as good as killing the buck itself. I hunt in southeastern minnesota (bluff country) and we have some huge deer and it's private land with ridges galore and oak trees everywhere 600 acres and it's watched pretty good but to no avail I find diddly squat! And it's not for lack of effort either! Thanks for the pics.

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

If you find an area where the bucks are wintering, you will find the horns. I watch the deer I am hunting every season. Most bucks you see duing the season aren't wintering in the area you are hunting. A few months ago, I saw the 10pt I had been hunting during the bow season, he dropped his horns almost in my backyard. He's considerably bigger than the one I shot that went 155". Hopefully, he makes it til next season!

15. Big B

Big B Just another day at the office

Hey oaktree you finding those drops on a preserve or in the wild? It looks like theres horns there from about 100 diffrent deer.

16. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Here are a few i have found this year. From the TX panhandle. Along with europeanmounts this is all i do all Spring long. Hope you enjoy!!

17. wildturkeycall

wildturkeycall Thank you Lord for another fine day outdoors!

PA.
    Here is one I found while out. From south west part of PA. I also found this doe skull. The back molars were so worn down she only had about an 1/8" left before root. First one I ever found that old.

18. oaktree

oaktree Member

All sheds are from 100%wild deer there is no perserve or penned hunting in Manitoba.Its a matter of knowing there wintering areas and putting "a lot"of wear on your boot treads,heck you can walk for 5-6 hours and find nothing then the next day step 10yrds in the bush and trip over them.

19. Big B

Big B Just another day at the office

oaktree
    Thats cool. The deer don't yard up around my area any more because of the lack of snow for the last 10 years. For the most part there are so many people feeding them in their back yards the deer don't have to use the ceder swamps any more to winter up.
    10 years ago if you found a new clear cut in the winter you would see 100 deer standing there not the case any more.

20. weazel

weazel New Member

OAKTREE YOU NEED TO BOX THOSE UP AND PUT THEM ON EBAY$$$$$$$$$