1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair slip repair on bear face?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Lone Wolf AK, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

I've searched the archives, and have gleaned several possibilities for a repair, but I'd really appreciate your input on this project.

A client/friend brought in a dry-tanned cinnamon phase black bear that he wanted rugged. Upon inspection, I found severe slippage around both eyes, the muzzle, and both ears. I suggested he may not want to spend the $$ for a rug on this particular bear. I advised him I could probably repair it well enough to pass the "6-foot test" for viewing from afar, but it would still be a noticeable repair. He still wanted to mount it, as it was the only color-phase blackie he had taken to date. Sooooo, I reluctantly accepted the project.

Repairing the ears tips is not much of a problem, as I can glue in some replacement hair of the same color.

The muzzle/face, however, is a more challenging fix. Given the location of the slippage, the colors, and the hair patterns, I ruled out "cut-and-replace". Also, I didn't have any spare bear faces laying around :-\. I decided to mount it, let it dry, then proceed with repairs.

I'm considering an acrylic paint "stippling" technique outlined by RDA in an early post; possibly a "textured epoxy"/airbrush technique; or trying to find some tiny, similar color hair from scraps around the shop and glueing them in a few hairs at a time :(.

I'd really like to hear of any other ideas, as well as suggestions on how would YOU tackle this?

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. Steven .B

Steven .B New Member

My buddie is going throught the same ordeal with a bear head major slippiage when it came back from the tannery.. H e asked me what i would do and if i was in his postion i would try to find a replacement head of the same color and size and put a new face on it if possable... Now that if it where me I not sure if there is much more you could do with out it being noticeable... Good Luck with what ever you do and let us know what you decide to do!!!

3. Just did one just like that! Air brush lightly and blend colors just not a jet black

4. striker12

striker12 Member

Replacing the face would be the best bet I would think. No amount off blending paint or textured epoxy Is going to look
    Convincing Up close.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

You would be surprised at what you can do with alittle time and paint. That is just like doing the African stuff around here!(LOL) Anyway, on something like this, you want to build your colors in layers to give it some depth and realness. It is going to be perfect? Probably not, but it should be pretty convincing when you are done. I would start by blending the harsh lines where the slips occured. A combination of stippling as you put it would be where I would start. I personally would do most of that repair without an airbrush. Remember, build the colors in layers. Study the hair patterns you have to work with and follow them. Post some pics when you're done if you can.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Send it out to someone that can fix it, like Ron.

7. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Putty, flock, paint. Wont' be noticeble by anyone but a taxidermist.

Attack it...its not as bad as it looks.

Jim

Misty likes this.
  8. Lone Wolf AK

Many thanks to all who offered ideas. I'll get on it ;D.

9. michiganmom

michiganmom Realistic Antler Repair, Re-stain, Restore

I agree with the flocking idea. I had a whole giraffe neck with slippage. What I did was shave the hair from other scraps of the hide so I could have a good match with color and texture. I airbrushed the base colors, mixed epoxy paste with matching colors, spread iin small areas and used my hair flock. Then touched up with Ceramcoat acrylic paints (they dry flat to help with the shine)
    At least this would help around the eye.

Good luck!
    Deb

Deb Mazur's Antler Repair
    [email protected]

10. Lone Wolf AK

Thanks! Appreciate your comprehensive solution.

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I just fixed a bear like that, but I'm sure it doesn't look nearly as good as what these guys are talking about. Maybe one of them can do a tutorial to help all of us out since we often have to do repairs like this and I don't think there's currently a tutorial on the flocking method.

12. I just finished one useing some of the extra hair from the front legs and glued it back on around the face as it is short and course a little trimming and a good paint match very difficult to see except by a trained eye

13. Lone Wolf AK

Thanks for all the ideas. I opted for a combination of stippling with heavy acrylic paint to texture some areas, and glued some hair "plugs" in others. Final airbrushing and blending finished things up. I'm still not totally happy with the final result, but what taxidermist ever is ;D ?

Te client liked it, and it'll pass the "6-foot test", so that's probably as good as I can hope for.

Again, thanks for the ideas!

Attached Files:

14. Lone Wolf AK

one more angle

Attached Files:

15. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great save!!!!!

16. michiganmom

michiganmom Realistic Antler Repair, Re-stain, Restore

Looks pretty darn good. Way to go!

Debbie

17. slee

slee Member

Looks great!

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

And that,,,, is how it is done, good save.

19. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    And you were worried. Looks good. Sometimes things aren't as bad as we make them out to be. 3bears

20. Lone Wolf AK

Thanks for the comments, but it wouldn't have worked without the great advice from all who provided suggestions. I really appreciate it (and so did the client when he picked it up). ;D