1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critter Clay getting moldy -- anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by buckyb3, Jan 23, 2012.

1. The last two 5 lb bags of Critter Clay I bought got moldy within a month of opening and grew reddish colored mold. I am a weekend taxidermist for many years, so I have used the same bag for more than a year in past with no problems. After the first I bought went bad, I bought another now I opened it two weeks ago and it is doing same thing. Put bacteriacide inside and still growing?? Is it me or is it them?

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

when you get your 5 lber cut it into 1 lb blocks and freeze thaw as you need them.

3. My last bag did that too. It was the prettiest red color! ;D First time for me. My newest bag I have been using for the 6 weeks with no issues.

Bruce

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I had some clay that grew mold, but mine was black. My latest batch has stayed clean - so far. *fingers crossed*
    It doesn't seem to have any effect on it's performance, but I always took a little extra care just in case it might cause stains on the feathers. It didn't seem to, but I didn't want to take a chance.

5. schenk

schenk Member

Mine molded black as well!! I just kept cutting it off and using the rest.

6. Spray a little lysol disinfectant in the blue can and it will kill the mold. You might even spray a little in it when its new to inhibit the mold growth. We have to do that in the humid ,warm area we live in to keep the mold away. Hope this helps!

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I use alot of it and it still does that to me. I just spray alittle lysol/water in a mister bottle every now and them to keep in down. Hasn't hurt the performance of the clay.

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

X2 what Matt said...i use different types of water clay,,first thing i do when openning a new package is too spray a little Lysol in it...i have re-opened clays that have not been used in years...no mold, after the Lysol treatment.

9. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

used the last bag from last year this year no mold just a little on the dry side have kept it in the fridge from last year no mold red or black

10. kahoff

kahoff New Member

My whole 5 lb block of white clay was covered with black mold and slime today and it wasn't very old. I ended up wasting half of it. So far I have not had the native color do that. Has anyone else noticed if one molds more than the other?

11. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

The last pack I bought gor moldy aswell, black fungus. I Send it back and the new one is ok.

12. bigworm

bigworm New Member

I've kept mine in the fridge for six months now and have no problem with it .

13. last two I got both grew mold .But lysol did the trick no problems after