1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Correct eye size

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Ok, another new guy question here. I just bought a Dennis Arp Original largemouth bass replica to practice on. The size I got calls for 14mm eyes. The eye now seems quite small for the hole in the replica. I'm talking 3/32" all the way around (estimated). Do I need bigger eyes or do I fill in around them with something? The eyes are Van Dykes Natural Eyes. Do Wayne Cooper Flex Eyes fit better?

Thanks everyone!
    Mark

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Heck ya! Unless you're doing competitions I see absolutely no reason to not use the Flex Eyes. I love them. They're not anatomically perfect for the purists out there. But, I've used them on thousands of customers mounts and never once had a complaint. Quite the opposite in fact. They look very realistic and the great thing about them is you can trim them to your needed size. With all the others oftentimes you have to settle for close enough when it comes to size. I for one would rather give up some minor anatomical imperfections in exchange for the ability to match the actual size of the eye much more closely. Plus, they're ready to go!

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    The flex eye is really a good eye
    I use them 90% of the time

4. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

what do you use the other 10% of the time?

5. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

To answer the other part of your question, the eye size is probably correct. You just need to sculpt the sclera band around it. I think there's an eye tutorial somewhere on this sight..........

6. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

To a new fish guy it does seem strange to recommend a fish eye that is much smaller than the eye opening? But Brian is right, all fish eye manufacturers sell eyes based on the iris size. The capsule or sclera needs to be built up around the iris, with glass eyes. Both Flex eyes and Still Life Lenses have the scleral capsule.

Jeff

7. Thanks guys for all your help!

8. FishArt

And wait until Mark does a skin mount where the eye opening dries even larger!

9. Giving me something to look forward to huh Marty! lol

10. Brian W

Thats why you buy a series of Jeff's eyes so you'll have the right size.... ;D...just paint em up and sculpt em in, right Jeff?.....

11. FishArt

That is one nice thing about custom painting your eyes if you choose to do that. You really only need a dozen or so "blanks" on hand and you have all sizes and species covered. I have a LOT of Flex Eyes on hand. A lot. If I ever have a fire I'm grabbing them instead of my wife's jewelry - lol! Honestly, a lot of the Flex Eyes are pretty similar and no customer is ever going to notice if you use say a RBCR eye instead of a LMB one (or two - lol!). I could probably easily get by with half the amount I have (or less!) But, if you do any volume you DO need to have a fair amount on hand to cover all bases. At least now I KNOW which sizes I really don't need to have in stock. Those Walleye 24's and 26's are still hanging out looking purdy after 15 years - lol!

12. Brian W

Just a plug for Jeff...........and pretty funny about grabbing the eyes Marty....had a customer with a major fire loss the other day and all they could grab before heading out the door was themselves.......no-one or no pet was hurt so thats the main issue......

13. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Marty don't confuse the poor guy, lol any more than necessary. And Brian is right again!!!

Jeff ;)

14. Got those Flex-Eyes...AMAZING! At least for a rookie I guess. Thanks for all the input and answers guys!