1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

CWD Log Sheets for New York Taxidermists

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Andy M, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Andy M

Andy M Member

Hello There!

Do any of the New York Taxidermists on here have a current CWD log sheet we are supposed to keep? I see on the NYSDEC website that the instructions say to keep records for two years. The old form, which I used last year, says to maintain records for six years and we had to mail them in within 30 days of the calander year. There is no link on the NYSDEC website to download the log sheet as in the past, the number I was given to call only has an answering machine and no one has returned my calls. I just planned to fill in the old sheet and keep it, throw it out in two years. What do any of you guys do? Please only New york taxidermist reply, I don't what to know what other states require.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

2. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Andy,

Although I am not a NY taxidermist, I did however just got off the phone with the NY / DEC on other CWD business other than your question, so I took the liberty of asking anyway. They informed me that there are no 'log sheets' to be filled out by NY taxidermists with regards to CWD in taxidermy. Though there will be (or currently is) a new law pertaining to the record keeping of sales pertaining to black bear parts i.e. hides, skull, gall bladders etc. For more information on CWD in NY, please log onto:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/cwdqa.pdf

Hope this helps,

John Janelli
    NTA Vice President

3. Andy M

Andy M Member

John -

Thanks for the info! I'm suprised you were able to talk to someone, as I have called five times and got only an answering machine. Please see the following link.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/3926.html#13419

If there is no CWD log sheet then this information is misleading and/or out of date.

Will the mystery ever be solved?

Andy

4. There is no log sheet given out by the DEC, the law is just that you have to keep a log of every deer that comes in and out of your shop and the DEC can ask to see those logs at anytime they wish. I keep mine in a notebook with all the information about the hunting licence and deer that is required.

5. Andy M

Andy M Member

That's what I think my plan is going to be. Just keep the info in a 3-ring binder and available upon request. In the past, they had a link in which you could download the log sheet with the instructions stating that it needed to be mailed in within 30 days of the end of the calendar year.

Thanks for the help!

Andy

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

There is a cwd log sheet, it was developed to be able to back reference if there were ever a known cwd positive cervid found in NY. In my opinion it was a failed from the start idea, surprise its NY state. I simply made copies and with every cervid that I take in, I fill it out on the sheet, two to each sheet, and when I file my records for that year, it includes those records too. No need to toss them after 2 or 6 years. I always keep records and in case NY ever figures out what theyre really doing, and tells everyone to be on the same page, Ill have records regardless. Most guys I know dont even keep the standard records. Thats them. I have had to deal with the state before, I take no chances. ;)

7. Andy M

Andy M Member

Thanks Bill!

I too had the DEC show up a couple of years ago asking to see the log sheets. I was able to get it from the DEC website as well. When I looked this year, to make sure i had the lastest version of the sheet, is was not to be found. Are we still required to mail them in? I don't see where it says to, other then in the directions on last years log sheet. Plan will be to keep the records on hand and not mail them in. If they stop by, I'll have them.

Thanks again!!

Andy

8. Bill Yox

I agree with your plan too Andy. That way you, and your customers on your hehalf, are covered regardless. All the info is on our invoices usually anyway, but that way they really cant complain to us. Its a silly premise to begin with, and the original cwd positive in NY was a farce anyway. Its a shame. Oh well, hope you had a decent season.

9. Andy M

Andy M Member

Bill -

I can see why you believe it to be a farce. We log in deer, elk, etc. on a CWD log sheet. It does not say that the animal was positive, can't test it as it's been disposed of once skinned out. Only will tell them if it came from a contamined area or not. What does that info tell them? Save the trees - do away with it.

Thanks again Bill!

Andy

10. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Bill, aren't CWD regs different for a cervid breeder as opposed to a taxidermist in NY? Because what I'm hearing from NY taxidermists does not concur with the DEC. They're telling me there is no longer an officially DEC disseminated ''log sheet'' requirement. I would like to initiate a conference call at my own expense between someone like you Bill, the NY/DEC law enforcement office and myself to ascertain one way or the other the facts of the matter.

11. Bill Yox

John, I spoke as a taxidermist not as a game breeder. After the states attorneys threatened me and other deer farmers that were also taxidermists a few years back, no, lol, I dont wish to have any involvment with that conference call. I have a suggestion or two for them, but again, not interested. They had issued those forms once upon a time. I have, as a taxidermist, as required, always filled them out, and sent them in, and later, saved them with my log. Its the same info thats required on the log, plus a second date when killed and also a doc number. Any taxidermist in NY state can easily add this to their log, and thus be current regardless of which official you get on which day. JJ, Im sure youll go after your answers and I hope you get them.