1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Features do you want in a Salt-Water Glass Eye ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Buck Black Forest Eyes, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Heres your chance to be in on the Fun ! The Results from this will be Built-in and Ill make the form on the week-end of Sat- Oct-7th
    I can have it done and Posted on the Forum around a 30 - day time slot so heres your chance to make the ultimate Salt-Water Eye !
    No BS ! lets do it ! Who thinks they can make the Ultimate Salt-Water Eye ?
    Michael Rodgers Owner- Black Forest Eyes (Germany).
    Thanks Buck...

2. makoman

makoman Member

Hi Buck ,well you have set yourself a challange!!! I have yet to see a glass tuna eye that is anything like a tuna eye !!for one thing ,they arn't round and have to be shaped to the fish,(man I hate seeing a round eye with teardrop pupil in a tuna) same goes for a marlin their eyes arn't round as you see on all repos in the states .in order to get the shape right I took a mould from a marlin eye ball.I would be interested in what you come up with,
    Cheers Kevin

3. Hi Kevin...Yep that radius is a shape to watch for because the Tuna for example, has this different kinda curve in it because, I guess its while they are so streamlined it takes a different angle to make it look good in conjunction with the pupil.
    So What do you want ? The Tuna or Marlin ? And what about the color ?
    Buck...

4. makoman

makoman Member

Buck,I do heaps of both ,mainly yellowfin and bluefin tuna ,and blues and striped marlin,so as far as color goes ,goldygreenblue for tuna and reflective blueygreen for marlin ,they are pretty hard to decribe in words ,as for shape ,I will be making some marlin eyes this week so will post a pic later
    Cheers Kevin

5. Kevin did you see the post from Denny Murawska ? he posted this new color I came up with,..and I think were on the same page !

6. makoman

makoman Member

Na mate can't find it!!

7. look for den007 and search for it around last month .
    Maybe Denny will post it again he gets home about now ,Ill call and ask him !
    Buck...

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Windshield wipers! :D :D :D

9. Looks like Makomann gonna get free Eyes ! Everybody else don't give a squat ? Cecil...Cecil...Cecil..........

10. Free Eye Giveaway...So Far its makoman 1st and Cecil......

Nice try Cecil.....I don't think Wipers on a Sail fish will blow over too good.....at least you posted ! and hey......thats more than the rest of the Fish heads on here !
    Anyway, you guys have till the weekend to post...otherwise the ultimate Salt-Water prize is gonna go the way of makomann,,, And by the way makomann...nice Fish you posted ! youre in 1st place so far!
    Buck...

11. den007

den007 Active Member

This is a pic of a prototype, but I think it shows that Buck can back up his claims of producing something way different than you are used to. I am surprised more folks have not chimed in on this. The saltwater eyes I see out there are BORING! From what I have seen, he can do some pretty funky stuff with colors, shimmers, irridescents, and just plain depth. Give the man your input! For God's sake.....now is your chance to upgrade eyes forever. You freshwater guys too.....I see the posts being read......are you all satisfied with the few choices out there? Make your wishes known!

12. Kerry B

Kerry B New Member

FEAR...when I drag them on board and look them in the eye, I see FEAR

13. mcole

mcole New Member

Nice prototype! Here's a pic of a cobia's eye and a sailfish eye that I recently finished.
    Can any of you guess what type of eye I'm useing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

Buck, love the colors.......very impressive. I'm waiting patiently.

15. Hey Wild Bill, looks like were gonna have to put sockets on the Salties,..Along with that Gold-Blue color that should be a real treat for the Eye ! No Pun !...What do you want to see in the Ultimate Eye ?
    Buck...

16. makoman

makoman Member

Yeah great colors Buck!!from my observations of marlin eyes ,you look into the pupil as opposed to the pupil coming out at you which I see in most production eyes.
    Michael where is the texture on the bill and lower jaw on the sail??

17. You Have learned well GrassHopper ! You are well in the lead my man !
    Buck....
    Can anybody stop Makoman !!!!!!? you're on the money !

18. makoman

makoman Member

Great start Buck from what I can see in the pic posted,although the pupil looks to come out at you as opposed to what I've noticed in marlin eyes where the pupil looks deeper ,the pic here is of the true shape of a marlin eye taken from an eye ball ( a bit messy but the right shape) hope this helps.

Cheers Kevin

19. Yes ! and from what I can see were gonna need several,,Up,Fwd,Back, ect for the expressions that you need ! Now What Size is it gonna be ?
    You Name it Kevin ..Cuz youre in 1St place..
    Buck...P.S. in about an Hr from now Im making the master A-B- form, so now alls Ineed is the Size, Thats all I need and by the weekenc Ill have the form done and Ready for production !
    Buck....

20. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Buck.....Kevin is on the money as to pelagic eye shapes, ,and coloration........there are no fish eyes on the US market that I have found that honestly represent large pelagic fish......I have always had to use and paint flint eyes, even though the shape is totally wrong......and a flat flint eye is not accurate at all........it's plain and simple, just to flat representation of an inaccurate eye.....so, Buck make a large size pelagic eye, that is half of a shere....like a ping pong ball..allowing the eye to be rotated correctly in the mold.......