1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How many freezers do you have?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mcole, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mcole

mcole New Member

At our Florida studio we have 2 chest freezers and one refrig...and I'm thinking about buying a walk-in.
    And at our Alabama studio we have 4 chest freezers, one upright and one refrig. And I know other local taxidermist running 6 to 8 freezers.
    I know some of the fellow forum members have some "stock" in GE....lol

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Just one freezer....I wish I had more though lol mine was full to the brim this hunting season but thankfully I got all my work done.

3. We just got a walk in freezer. It hasnt arrived yet. it has to be built in the shop. But it sure is gonna be nice.

4. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    I have 4 chest freezers at my shop, 1one at my grandpas house and 2 at my parents, I'm really waning a walk in but have no room until I get my new shop built here in the next year or so. Nothing sucks worse then having to pull a hide out and its on the bottom.

5. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

One walk-in 8'x12' freezer, stainless shelves, And one three door reach-in cooler (also used for soda and beer for the end of the day). I used to have 3 chest freezer and found that running the walk-in costs less than the 3 chests. Monster140, and everyone else try this......chest freezer storage for game heads, I vacuum pac the hide then put it in a 6" PVC pipe until frozen and stand the LOGS on end with the tag showing. I NEVER had to dig to the bottom of a chest freezer. I still make the logs and store in the walk-in. This really keeps things organized. Mark S.

6. BWS

BWS New Member

4 chest freezers. If i need another one (which is hopefully soon) i will be selling 3 of these and upgrading to a walk-in.

7. I have two Chest freezers that I can call my own, but our household has a total of three chest freezers, two uprights and three fridges. I'm looking in to getting a walk-in before next fall as alot of what I tan comes to me raw, sometimes unskinned. And I agree with Monster140 I absolutly hate having to dig to the bottom of a chest freezer for a bobcat skull or something only to find out the pieces in the freezer never go back the same and now the lid don't shut. (often a 50# bag of salt solves this problem....)

GE stock sure would be a good investment.... Kinda like zip tie stock....

Shelby

8. we have 4 chest freezers, one stainless upright 3 door freezer, one stainless upright 3 door fridge, and one fridge/freezer combo....

9. Mike A

Mike A New Member

We have 5 chest freezers. My next one is going to be a walkin. Hoping to have the walkin by next huntin season.
    Mike

10. mntduks-tx

mntduks-tx New Member

the shop has 9 chest freezers and a 10 x 30 walk in cooler/freezer combo. Dang... i need to go up on price and cut out some workload......

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Glad I'm not the only one who has had to dig into the bottom of the freezer, man, I hate that. Everything you need is always on the bottom. I am adding on this summer and the walk-in will hopefully be in place before season.

12. Our shop has five large chest freezers & a standard refrigerator/freezer (to hold hides after defrosting-and the "moo" for the inevitable cup o' hightest joe). I'm waiting on the area schools to auction off their equipement when they close & move into their newly built facilities.
    I went to an auction a couple of towns away & was unprepared for what I found. The walk-in freezer(24 X 24 ft), with the accompanying "cold room"(12 X 14 ft) had been installed only 6 months before the auction. Guess what it went for? It sold for 475.00 CASH!!!! And to beat all...the company that came in and set it up had agreed to disassemble it, deliver it, and then re assemble it free of charge...grumble...grumble...-Susan

13. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

I currently have 2 large chest freezers and 1 upright freezer. I really don't like the idea of a walk-in and not having any chest freezers. What happens if your walk-in freezer goes down and that's all the freezer you own?
    I like the idea that if one of my chest freezers takes a crap, then I can move things to another working freezer.

Mike

14. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

If that happens Doylestudio, better start salting quick, lol.

I have only had 1 chest freezer. The one i have now was bought about a year ago and it is 19.5 Cubic Feet. Durring the 2005/2006 Georgia Deer Season I thought at the end of season I was going to have to go get another freezer.

When I get moved I plan on buying another freezer. One for Raw Capes and hides and one for Tanned Hides.

15. AndyB

AndyB New Member

I have one chest freezer and a refreg freezer in my garage then i have another refreg freezer in my shop.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm always baffled by this question. It amazes me that some taxidermists insists on "who has the most freezers". Having lived through several "burnouts" and enduring one now, I have to ask what anyone with more than two freezers is thinking.

If you are a sole proprietor with no contracted work, how long would it take you, if you had to, to empty those freezers you have. If the answer is 8-10 months, then I'll apologize for being impertinent. If you are storing work over one year, you are guilty of bad business decisions and gluttony. I have two chest freezres(the biggest they make). I keep one for deer and the other for small game, birds, and tanned hides. All my deer are rolled, bagged, numbered and stacked like firewood in my freezer with the oldest numbers on top and the newest ones on the bottom. Never have to dig for anything.

Having more freezer space than you can accomplish in a year or less eventually leads to big backlogs, dissatisfied customers, and taxidermists who have to take in more work since they've already spent their deposit money before they get to the actual work and need new deposit money to buy the necessary supplies. I've seen it dozens of times over the years and if you think you're the exception, you're simply fooling yourself.

17. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

George is absolutley correct, I look at it this way, I want all mine EMPTY, That is when I made my money.The only good freezer is an EMPTY ONE.

18. BWS

BWS New Member

well you have to have that 1 freezer with all the stuff in it your "gonna" mount someday for yourself.....LOL

I want a walk-in to store whole animals and large game capes. More freezers for a taxidermist/furdealer I think is a good thing so long as deadlines are met.

19. Matt

Matt Active Member

Well George, you are correct in many aspects. However, I am a one man show, and when gun season rolls around and you have 20- 30 heads staring at you, you better be prepared. As my wife walks the customers through the showroom picking out poses, I'm caping my (you know what off). I wouldn't mind having a walk in freezer/cooler to hold the heads for a few days until I can "catch up". I don't freeze whole heads, it's a waste of time and space I don't have. Every deer that comes in gets caped, turned, and salted up to ship out. Not to mention our gun seasons here in Ohio are usually warm, and that can spell disaster.

20. mitchman

mitchman my dog was tired

thats an awesome idea mark s.